Chapter Twelve

Christmas Eve

Sitting at my desk, minding my own business was the best thing that could ever happen. With two hormonal teenagers living here, I normally wanted to gauge my ears out.

I stuck the rod in the soapy water, cleaning my guns. I did it once a month for my everyday guns, but once a year for the guns I never used. Even if you don't use them, you want them safe. But i knew the quietness couldn't last forever, the sound of my door opening and pounding footsteps came into my fucking living room.

"You've got mail, O." Elio dropped a letter in front of me. It didn't have a return address. I opened the letter, seeing it was a black hand. A black fucking hand. It was from Luca Changretta. Luca fucking Changretta.

I walked into Elio's room, seeing the two of them giggling together. "I'm going to Thomas's. Do not go anywhere. Stay here and keep your guns ready." i told them before leaving the room. I obviously ruined their mood, but who the hell cares. Somebody said something about me working for him. What a fucking prick.

Before i left, i saw the phone plugged into the wall. My mind wandered. Not a chance Elio would put his girlfriend in danger, me thats a different story. I unplugged the phone and put it in a cabinet just in case my brother were to be involved with something.

I didn't walk to the brick house, i fucking ran. I ran with the goddamn letter in my pocket and my feet moving as fast as my heart was beating. It was beating a hundred miles an hour. I think i made it to the house within five minutes instead of twenty.

I walked through the doors, my breath heavy. I fixed my hair as i went to Thomas's drawing room, not even caring to knock this time. The door slammed behind me as i walked to his desk, putting the black hand in front of him.

"You got one too, fantastic." Thomas rubbed his forehead.

"What about Arthur and John?" I asked, then he went straight to the phone. It rang for about two minutes straight for both of them, no answer.

The New York fucking Mafia has come to England. How fucking pleasent.

"Fuck!" Thomas yelled, putting his head in his hands. "How does he know about you? You cover your tracks so fuckin well!" he yelled out of frustration.

"Me? Tom why the fuck are you worried about me?" I yelled back at him. Then I realized. The mafia always comes after the family. The whole family. That's what Luca does. Thats what fucking Luca does to everyone.

"They come after the entire family." I spoke to myself. I looked at Thomas with my eyebrows pinched together. "I'm not part of the Shelby family. My brother didn't get one." I said, he nodded.

"Maybe he had spies see you come to the house. I dont fucking know." he told me, standing up and using his hand when he talked. "You stay here tonight. You call your brother and tell him to get somewhere safe." he pointed at me.

"No phone." I told him. He sighed and wiped his face. "Does he know how to defend himself?" he asked, i nodded.

"Of course he knows how to fucking defend himself." I said, he nodded.

"Good." he paced the room. "Good. What about valuables?" he asked.

"Only my guns. My stolen ones." I said, he nodded. "Tom, I don't care about that shit. I dont want anybody to fucking die." i paused for a moment. "Anybody on our side." i changed my statement. He walked over to me and grabbed me by the shoulders, looking me dead in the eye.

"I just wanted to know if they could use materials as blackmail." he told me, taking his hands off me. He took a deep breath and looked at the clock.

"It's late and Christmas Eve." His calm demeanor took over. "I'll tell Francis to make an extra plate for dinner, I want you to stay." he told me again. Being gifted the black hand just like my father actually struck a little fear into me.