Chapter Ten

Queens NY a month later.

I walked out of the loading dock in New York City. oh how I didn't miss this place one bit. It was dirty, filled with weird people and the smell wasn't the most pleasant in the world. All the men in fedoras looked alike. They all even gave me strange looks as I passed them. Wonderful.

"A ticket to Queens, please." I told the train station person. He smiled and nodded.

"What's a beautiful girl like you traveling alone for?" He asked as he got me a ticket.

"I'm here on business." I told him, he smiled and laughed.

"Business?" he asked, I nodded. "The only business you should have is taking care of your wealthy husband," he attempted to crack a joke, which I rolled my eyes at. Ignoring his remark, I thanked him for the ticket and got on the train. It was filled with tons of people. Ladies and their dates, men in suits and me. I stood out from most of them. So did Luca fucking Changretta.

"My my. If it isn't my favorite working girl," He approached me, so I decided to be polite. "How are you, Octavia? Did the Army treat you well?" he asked, I smiled and nodded.

"It treated me fantastic. I got to go to so many places and write about them." That was a total lie. I went two places then got discharged because I was being a bitch towards the sergeant. I decided to press for information a bit, just wondering what he was doing looking so sharp on a Tuesday evening.

"What have you been doing since I left?" I asked, now giving him a border look. He leaned against the wall a bit, looking at me.

"Were you ever in England? Birmingham maybe?" he asked, I nodded.

"Yeah, I wrote for their newspaper a bit." I told him.

"Did you ever write about the name Shelby?" he asked. I decided to pretend to be on his side.

"Oh, a million times. I heard their business was down." I told him.

"I'm taking care of a little business with them in a couple months. Ya know how that goes." he said, I nodded. I made sure to cover the guns that were beneath my overcoat. If he saw that shit, id never be safe. He didn't know that i'd report back to Thomas the second I got back to England.

"Speaking of business," he took out a couple twenties. "I'd like your help. You were always an honest person, plus a good spy. You never really got spotted," he slipped me the money. I smiled, pushing it back towards him.

"I couldn't, Luca." I told him politely. He stuck the money in my pocket. The train stopped a few moments later at Queens. "I really would like the offer, but I have a family back in England. I dont want to mess up the best thing that ever happened to me." I explained as the doors opened.

"Keep the money. The offer is always available." he said as I made my way towards the door. I smiled and nodded, then got out. My heart was beating so fucking fast I thought I was going to pass out again. Elio's return address was on each of his letters, so I just followed that. 401, main street, apartment 2. He backed away from the house. I wonder why.

I knocked on his door a couple times, hoping he would answer. After about two minutes, a tall shirtless boy with a cigarette in his mouth opened the door with a gun pointed at me. As an instinct, I pulled a gun on him also. His face dropped when he saw it was me.

"Get in." He opened the door wider and let me in, locking it behind me. He set his gun down and hugged me tightly, signing into my neck.

"What the hell went wrong with you?" I asked, pulling away from him. He pulled a shirt on and began buttoning it.