DEVIL'S BACKBONE

And of course I'm excited when I see you around,'cause my insides are red, and yours are too,and the red on my face is matching you

'cause my insides are red, and yours are too,
and the red on my face is matching you.

The Red Means I Love YouMadds Buckley

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

        Kalani Kayoko and Ethan Landry hated each other and they couldn't tell you why. Maybe they were a little too similar to each other and they both hated that, or maybe they are both so secretly angry at the world and need to take it out on something—–someone.

         It all started when Kalani and Chad broke up, they both swear it was mutual and they're still friends (which they are!), but when Kalani feels, she feels deep; sometimes too deep, so she was secretly bitter about the breakup. Even a month later, when Kalani finds out Chad and Tara are getting close. Kalani can say she's happy for them all she wants, but it fills her with rage seeing not just her sister, but her ex-boyfriend (turned friend) falling in love.. with her other friends for that matter.

          She was starting to feel unlovable, but refused to let it show. Kalani Kayoko could get anyone she wanted, she knows that, so why is she so scared to move on? Why does she have to feel stuck in place, right where Chad left her a month ago? Why do all of her friends think she can't move on?

           And then, Ethan Landry, of all people, came to her with an idea. "We can always fake a relationship, so they can leave both of us alone about finding someone". Kalani cursed herself for not thinking about that, and although she wishes it was anyone but him, she didn't think twice about it.

They agreed it would last five days and they both agreed to not mistake any of it as real.

At first, their friends didn't buy it, Kalani and Ethan just hated each other a week ago, and now they're suddenly into each other? But then a few days passed, and they all started to fall for it, and then just as Ghostface made his return in the city, following the Woodsboro survivors, Ethan realized the worst—–he was starting to actually like Kalani.

He could never tell if she felt the same he did, but her eyes looking for him in a crowded room was enough confirmation that it was starting to feel real to her too. And Ethan decided then he was going to make Kalani feel the way he does for her, and he was ready to cross every line to make it happen. (Even if it meant killing her.)

In the midst of Ghostface returning, and losing her sister, it slowly sends Kalani into a spiral. All her potential had suddenly vanished and Kalani couldn't differentiate right from wrong, real from fake, good from bad. It all became one big blur.

          And by the time Kalani finally lets herself actually fall for Ethan, oblivious to the secrets he's hiding, and learns to love everything she's hated, it'll be too late for forgiveness. But Ethan was prepared to take Kalani down with him. If he can't have her, no one can.