Chapter Ten

AIDEN

My subconscious screamed at me to wake up. I didn't want to. I haven't had this much peace in a long time. It was quiet. No dreams or work thoughts, only blackness and peace.

But the air was cold. My body could feel a sense of urgency.

No, I won't wake up.

I assumed this was another trick and I was hoping it would be morning when I woke up. This has happened too many times this week. If Nicole was not the answer I would be back to sleeping with strangers every day until I found the one.

I wasn't a deep sleeper. The slightest noise woke me up. Tonight's sleep started on a peaceful note. I faded away in mere minutes after Nicole placed her head on my chest. This was the first time we were sleeping together but it felt perfect.

I held on to Nicole and we slept soundly. This was the sleep I badly needed for days. I knew Nicole was the answer to my insomnia because my body wanted her near me. It was odd but I didn't have time to fight or question it.

I loved the way things were now and I didn't want to wake up. My brain fought with me until I gave in and jerked up from the bed.

Why was that so easy?

I turned beside me and saw that Nicole had drifted away from my chest and snuggled a portion of the duvet on the other side of the bed. It was almost cute but my first instinct was to check the time.

I turned on her bedside lamp and reached for my pants on the floor then pulled out my phone. Our clothes were scattered around the room reminding me of last night. My body reacted almost immediately but there was no way I would wake her up to ask for more.

When I approached her I was alright with us sleeping without sex but now that I had a taste of her I wanted more and more. Nicole was an amusing woman and I found myself becoming more curious.

My phone screen told me it was three minutes past 4 am. I sighed in relief. A part of me really wanted Nicole by my side and I had promised to leave her alone if I wasn't able to sleep.

It must have been 11 pm when we went to bed and I slept soundly.

I heard soft cries from beside me pulling me from my happy thoughts. I frowned and climb back to the bed. On getting closer to Nicole I confirmed that the cries were coming from her.

Is that what woke me up?

My brain panicked as I rushed to her side. She really was crying. What was wrong? Was she having a bad dream?

The sound of her soft whimpers brought back bad memories from my childhood. They usually come in my dream but not tonight. I tried so hard to forget but the girl in my dreams cried just like this and would try to comfort her.

Her cries increased and so did my worries. The sound of her whimpers made my heart ache.

"Nicole," I called, trying to shake her out of it.

Her body was cold and she clutched the duvet tighter. Although she was cold she had beads of sweat forming. I was convinced she was having a nightmare. I was like this too when I had terrifying dreams.

"Nicole," I called again, shaking her body.

She didn't wake up so I did the only thing that could come to mind. When I started having those dreams, I wished someone would hold me and tell me that I was safe but there was no one.

I pulled her up and went behind her holding her tightly.

"Nicole, I need you to wake up," I said softly. "I'm here, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere,"