Chapter Thirty-Seven

NICOLE

Aiden Stark was in my bedroom. This wasn't a dream or a hallucination. It was really him. I thought of the multiple things that could have led to him being in this room, but I arrived at no conclusion.

The fact that he was staring at me in the one place I never wanted him to see broke me even more. When considering every single moment of my life, this is what I would consider my lowest.

I was abused by my own mother, drugged, taken against my will, and forced to live a life I did not want to see. They already got me here. Why did she have to bring Aiden in too? Why did I have to see that look in his eyes?

I don't want his pity. I don't need anyone to save me.

"My mother put you up to this," I said. "She brought you here!"

I got up and reached for anything and began to throw them at the door. There was no way to what I picked up. I just threw them at him and everyone else. Curtis was quick to leave, but Aiden advanced towards me.

"Stay back!" I yelled.

"I won't," he replied, taking another step.

I ran out of things to throw, so I kept on moving backwards, but he followed me. Why wouldn't he listen? This was his chance to escape.

"Don't you dare come any closer," I said.

"You can't stop me from coming to see you, Nicole," he replied.

At this point, he was standing in front of me and there was no more space for me to move. I was backed against the wall with his soft eyes on me.

"Go back," I pleaded.

The droplets of tears I tried to control escaped to my face. I hoped he wouldn't see this part of me. It would be fine if I went through this alone.

"You know why I can't do that, Nicole," he replied.

"I don't know," I said honestly because I didn't.

He pinned his arm above me and leaned into me. I know he could see my face very clearly. Every worried wrinkle, every drop of tears, and the beads of sweat. I felt vulnerable.

This scene felt too familiar, but I wasn't in the position to have fantasies about a man like Aiden Stark.

Aiden's eyes bore into mine like he was searching for something. His chest rose and sank in his heavy breathing. I avoided looking directly into his eyes. What was he expecting? A cry for help? He knew the truth now.

If he was here, then my mother probably told him about her intention to marry us. However, I loved Aiden. I had to give him the freedom to choose who he loves.

"How can you not know, Nicole? Is it because I never said it?" Aiden asked.

What was he talking about? Wasn't he here because of my mother?

"I don't need you here. I don't want your pity!" I yelled, pushing his chest.

I needed him to move away from me. If he stayed this close, my body was going to fold before I did. Why did Aiden Stark have to be so stubborn?

"Nicole, stop pushing me away!" He held my hand in place, but I struggled. "I'm here to help you. We're in this together,"

"I don't need your help, Aiden. People like you and her only want to use me. Is that it? Now that you know who I am and the blood that flows through my veins, you're interested?"

"Nicole!"

"I know I'm right. You want to use me just like the rest of them. I'm nothing to you, so get out!"