Chapter Fifty-Five

NICOLE

Humans live their lives, never knowing when things will change. As someone who has been through so much change, I often found myself wishing for my life to stay a certain way.

It was obviously due to fear. There is a good change and there is the change that will rock your world upside down till you wish you were dead. No matter how good life gets, everything will change.

As I snuck back into the ZEN building, I thought about what kind of change I was going through. It was hard to decide through my shock-fried brain. Although I wiped away the tears, my heart was in mourning.

All these years, I was told my father was stuck in a coma, but he was awake when I saw him. I didn't want to think about it. All I wanted was sleep and work.

If I had enough work, there was no way I would think about crying or holding back my tears. Even with my resolve, it was very hard to stay on my two legs without support.

The company building was empty except for the security on patrol. They were aware that the Programming team slept in the building sometimes so I was stopped at the entrance.

As soon as I made my way through the pass checkpoint with my ID I rushed to the already opened elevator. Someone had just come out of it and was heading home for the day.

The elevator had just me in it and it gave me too much space to think, yet my brain was floating. I stopped at the programming floor and walked towards the dormitory.

Everyone else was sleeping there, but this would be my first time here since working on a project. Aiden made sure I stayed next to him every night. It would be hard to explain my disappearance, so I thought sleeping here for the night was a good idea.

It was a difficult plan considering all my toiletries were in his restroom. However, just as I made my way to the women's dorm that was added after I arrived, I spotted a figure leaning on the wall with his eyes closed.

Aiden had his hands crossed on his chest and I knew he was tired, but he had been waiting for me. I did not expect to talk to my father today, so I ended up staying longer than I was supposed to.

If Aiden asked me where I was, I'd have to lie to him and I felt guilty about lying. He has been so supportive and good to me. I froze, contemplating running away when his eyes opened and he took quick strides to reach me.

Before I could blink, Aiden was in front of me blocking my path out of the dorm.

"Where did you sneak off to?" he asked.

His tone was low and held little energy. Maybe he didn't want to wake the others sleeping, but I knew he was probably exhausted. How long has he been waiting for me? I swallowed hard and rearranged my braids, trying to find a good lie.

"I just needed some air for inspiration," I replied.

Aiden stared at me, and I wondered if he was suspicious of my life. It was a terrible lie, but I couldn't tell Aiden what had transpired in the last few hours without breaking down.

He was already involved in so many things concerning my life and family. If I couldn't handle this problem myself, then I didn't deserve to be by his side.

"You should have taken me with you," he whined, leaning his head on my shoulder.

My heart skipped several beats and became heavy with guilt. I just lied to Aiden, even though he was taking care of me. I wanted him to ask more questions, but he pulled me closer to hug me and take in my scent.

"I missed you," he whispers, kissing the skin underneath my earlobe. "Promise you'll take me with you next time,"

"Next time," I replied, rubbing his back gently.