Chapter Thirty-Four

AIDEN

"Lizzy, any news from your contact?" I asked as I barged my way into my own office.

For the past few days, I was barely at my office, but I left some instructions for Lizzy. There was no more time. Nicole wasn't safe. No one I cared about was safe.

"Sir, did anything happen?" Lizzy asked.

It was hard to explain what I was going through. I was angry enough to ram through a skyscraper. Why can't I catch fucking a break? Every second felt like I would lose the last shred of my sanity to rage.

The worst part of everything was that I was powerless. Looking at the photo Jonas sent me today proved my point. There was someone constantly watching Nicole's building, and this was a recent development. I noticed the same figure the last time I was there.

I fought the urge to find that person's whereabouts in case it wasn't him. The battle line had been drawn already, and I had to start taking action on my part. Thinking about everything happening now, maybe I should have left Nicole out of it.

She was right to call me selfish. I regretted it deeply, and I wished I had kept her next to me at all costs. It was too late for regrets.

"I don't want to talk about it right now, Lizzy," I replied. "It was about time I knew what was happening. Please tell me what you know,"

"It's been a while since I practised, but I was able to gather intel from my paralegal friends," Lizzy said, pushing an iPad towards me. "I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but I think you and Jonas Callisto will understand what's really happening,"

"Jonas? Why Jonas?"

To answer my question, Lizzy dropped a picture on my desk, which I picked up quickly. The photo carried a few faces, most of which were familiar. However, it was very easy to spot my father and Mrs. Callisto seated side by side and making a toast to the city mayor.

"A political deal? That's what my father is after? What does Diana have to do with any of this?" I asked.

"I think you should read the content of that file." Lizzy pointed to the iPad. "I decided to work discreetly so I'll print it out for you later by myself,"

I picked up the iPad and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the title of the document. It was a detailed plan for a future housing project the city council was about to commission. I swiped through a few pages to read more about the plans, and with every turn, I was even more shocked.

Everything my father had been doing for the past twenty years was because of this project. It all finally made sense to me. When I got to the final page of the document, I got to see which mayor signed the preparations.

The plan had been in motion for years and I wondered what went wrong that they had to stall the project. However, my curiosity did not wander for long. My gaze shifted to the date of the documents we signed and It was shocking enough to pull me down.

13th September, 2010.

This housing project has been approved for over a decade. There were two other additional documents for the same project. One from seven years ago when the then-mayor tried to start the project again and another from a few weeks ago.

Was this it? The reason my father wanted me to marry Diana, was it this contact? The company was doing fine for as long as I could remember, so what was the truth?

The wheels in my head were spinning at a rapid rate. Maybe it was because I was able to get over five hours of sleep yesterday, but my brain worked even faster now. Thirteen years ago, seven years ago, and now in 2023. Something drastic has happened each time.