Chapter Fifty-Eight

JESSI

"Does anyone know what this meeting is all about today? I'm sure we're too busy to miss each other so soon," I heard my uncle say as I reached the door to the meeting room.

My heartbeat was thumping away in my chest, but it felt like it was shifting up towards my mouth. The thought of being brave in front of the men in the next room filled me with so much anxiety.

While I was in college, I studied hard to make sure I had a place in Stark Industries. My mother told me it had to be me since Halo had other callings. I was also the first daughter.

The responsibility was something I took seriously. I learnt about business and even how to trade. However, when it was time to acknowledge my efforts and give me a position to start with, they insisted I must get married to be useful.

There was nothing more heartbreaking. My mother raised me to be strong and diligent in everything I did. Why did I need male validation from a stranger?

"I'd like to know as well," someone else said.

Those old farts began to murmur among themselves. Even those we had spoken to were going to risk exposing the plan. I smiled and held my bag firmly.

"So no one knows why we're here?" my uncle asked. "Who called for this meeting?"

"I did," I said walking in.

Silence engulfed the meeting room, and all that was heard was my heels as they clicked on the tiles. They all watched me as I walked and I knew my perfume would spread through the room till all they could think about was me.

Some of them were surprised to see me, but they all knew me. These men and the few women here tried to use me seven years ago, and it was time to pay them back.

I stood at the head of the table just next to my uncle and dropped my bag in front of him. My eyes scanned the room as a light smirk graced my lips. Everyone I expected to be here was here, but there was someone I did not expect to be here.

"Oh hi Michael," I said.

He frowned and nodded his head while I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Micheal Argentino, the man I was supposed to marry seven years ago, was here. He looked as ugly as I remember. I knew his family had shared here, and I expected to see his father or mother.

This was good. This was really good. It was the perfect stage for my show. I wish Nicole and Aiden were here to see it. If I did well, maybe things at Zen would go smoothly too.

"Jessi Stark, don't you think you're pushing your luck here?" one woman asked. "Who do you think you are to sermon us?"

"Jessi Stark," I replied. "You seem to know my name already so I'll have you know that as of this morning, I have more share than all of you seated here except for my uncle,"

"What nonsense are you playing at?!" my uncle yelled.

"Oh please uncle, sit still will you? The only reason you're still about me is you have Aiden's shares and he'll be getting them back soon,"

"Why did you go through so much trouble," one of the men mocked me.

The men we blackmailed all had their gazes on the floor. If we had more time, I'm sure we would have found something in all of them.

"Because I need power to do this and thanks to my mom, I have it," I replied.

"Why have you called us here?"

"The agenda of today's meeting is to replace my dear uncle as CEO,"

"Jessi!" Uncle jumped in his seat.