Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Devinah found herself enraptured by fiery kisses that transported her away. She returned his kisses with enthusiastic ones of her own. She revelled in the way he kissed her as if she was his world.

At no time did his skin burn her and she appreciated that they didn't have to stop. His lips became a wonderous torture, and his hands offered delightful caresses as they skimmed over her body.

"You do belong here with me," Salem said as he moved his lips to slide down her throat and scatter kisses on her sensitive skin.

"I'm starting to believe that," Devinah agreed with a sigh, "but..."

"Why's there a but?" he asked before capturing her lips for more kisses.

"Because..."

Salem leapt away from her unexpectedly, "I'm not burning you, am I?"

She looked up at him with a smile so delightful that he struggled to breath, "no, Oil of Dragon works wonders. Now come back here."

Salem stepped back towards her and enjoyed the way she snuggled into his embrace. With a bold move, she touched her fingers to his lips.

"What I meant is that we shouldn't distract each other until we have it all sorted, your memories, I mean," she said softly, not wanting to disappoint him but also knowing that they had more important things to focus on.

Salem understood what she meant and sighed. His life wasn't truly his own at the moment. He could only wonder when his life would return to being his.

"My life is just one giant plan concocted by other people," he complained.

"Actually, a lot of it the younger you set into place, so its not just everyone else's fault. You made the Promise Keeper, Salem. That's a huge thing. Only the leader of a Holidaze can make and utilise a Promise Keeper," Devinah told him.

"Is it that big of a deal?"

"Yes, making this whole Holidaze live under a Promise Keeper is a huge deal. Eventually you'll have to remove it and release everyone so they can talk freely about it," Devinah informed him.

"Maybe after we've got all of this other secrecy out of the way," Salem gestured to the sheet of paper that contained the last few names of those who had one of his memories.

"At least there's only three names left and the next one is someone you know," Devinah tapped her finger against Funtily's name.

"Should we just see it now and get it over with?" Salem sighed.

"These are your memories, Salem. Don't you want them back?"

"I still feel detached from that Salem. He had everything planned and set out. I still have a lot of George in me, so I'm floundering as I try to figure out what to do next," Salem admitted.

"You were George for a lot of years," Devinah agreed.

"I was. The last thing I want is to let this world down," Salem gestured around him as he showed his insecurities.

Devinah reached out and stroked a hand over his cheek, "you won't because you want to fix what's others have ruined. You've come a long way since George was your only focus. We have to see these memories to move things forward."

"And to figure out why to do about the traitors."

"Have you still got your advisors listening in on your mother?"

"Yes, but Klink hasn't visited her much recently. I don't know their plans, but I do know that it doesn't bode well for me," Salem said as he scrubbed a hand through his hair.