Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Devinah had no clue about Salem's plan. She stood outside the door of the dungeon at where Raven had spent all of her time recently Raven knew they had been spying on her, so Devinah couldn't understand why they were down there.

"Salem, I know it's you," Raven's voice echoed through the dreary dungeon.

"At least you now recognise me for who I am," Salem replied.

"You've always been Salem at heart, even when everyone knew you as George," Raven said with a raspy chuckle, "what are you doing down here? Took your advisors off their diligent looking after your mother to grace me with your presence."

"No, they don't know I'm here because I'm not really here. You're dreaming and I just planted Devinah and myself within your dreaming mind. You won't remember a single second of our time together here today."

"You're not that good, Salem," Raven chortled.

"You never knew me, Mother. I can honestly say that you have no idea of exactly what I can and can't do," Salem's dark chuckle echoed through the room.

Raven snorted, "you're nothing and nobody, Salem. At least in the human world you managed to have a job and act like a human. Here you have and are nothing."

"Let's discuss a few facts that you have no idea about, shall we?"

"There's nothing you could tell me to change my mind about anything."

"I was the one who made the Influence Potion that you gave me to make me into George. I knew exactly what you intended. If you take away the next king then the throne of Spookville becomes available. What you also didn't realise is that I made and introduced the Promise Keeper. I have all of Spookville bonded to me through that," Salem told her many things that Devinah knew he shouldn't have.

"What are you doing?" Devinah hissed.

"I did want to get some answers but now I realise how ridiculous that assumption was, so I'm going to tell her my truth," Salem said as he tapped her reassuringly on the shoulder, "she won't remember this until I want her to. It's all planned, don't worry,"

"It's all planned don't worry," Raven snorted.

"The younger me, before you made me into George and tried to keep me in the human world, had a plan. Since I've embraced my dragon and found my childhood lair, all of the truth of my younger years now exists in my mind. Did you know that your very sister made sure that my father never left the Holidaze? The three of us, Faye, Severson and myself concocted a plan so diabolical that it was years in the making, and now it has come to its fruition. Younger Salem really didn't like you, so, Raven, mother of mine, you will meet your doom this day," Salem said cheerily, which shocked his mother into silence.

"What did you do to her?" Devinah asked as she heard no protest from Raven.

"Like I said earlier, she won't remember our visit until I want her to," Salem grinned nefariously, "she's not the trickiest trickster anymore."

"Salem, what exactly are we doing here?" Devinah asked in confusion.

"I guess I wanted to give her a chance to defend her actions or to tell me why she did what she did. Why did she need to take over this world with Klink when she already had it with my father? I wanted to understand her reasoning, but obviously it's not something I will ever grasp. It doesn't matter now, we have to visit Aunt Faye and my father," Salem said as he rubbed his hands together and that grin only broadened.

He couldn't have looked more devilish if he'd tried. Devinah began to worry about exactly what the plan was. There was now a roughish jaunt to every step he took and the air around him sizzled with a delightful malevolence that fitted right into the Halloween Holidaze.