Chapter 41

Adira's POV:

"What do you mean? I don't remember meeting you before that?" I asked, confused.

He smiled faintly, staring into space, a faraway look in his eyes.

"Do you remember the day you left for Spain when you were nine?" I looked at him confused, nodding my head.

"You and your parents were going on vacation to Spain and grandpa wanted to send something for your grandpa so he asked dad to drop it at your house. I was with dad at that time." He spoke softly, his affection and love for his father visible in his transparent eyes.

I remember now, a few days before his parents death, when we were leaving for Spain, his dad came to our house but he didn't stay for long. He just dropped a few things that grandpa Luis sent and left after a little while but I don't remember seeing him with his father at that time. I looked at him questioningly. As if sensing my gaze, he smiled a little and dropped a soft kiss on my forehead.

"I was in the car. You were playing in your yard. I remember seeing you and thinking 'I have never seen such a beautiful girl before', you were so busy in your little world that you didn't notice me at all," He smiled affectionately.

"While playing, a cat accidentally crossed your yard and it had a limp. When you caught her, you cried so hard, seeing it injured and bleeding but you were still brave enough to help her with your mom, all the while cutely sniffling, that was the moment I fell for you. That's why I always say I loved you even when I didn't fully grasp what love truly meant," I looked at him dumbfounded.

I never knew, he saw me there. I remember faintly catching an injured cat. I gave her food and my mom helped me to treat her because I was crying to see her in pain.

"You saw me then?" I asked dumbly and he nodded, smiling down at me.

"Then why did you behave like you did with me afterwards?" I asked, confused, recalling our past encounters before our marriage.

I noticed his body visibly stiffened around me. I looked up at him and his face showed a lot of complicated emotions, pain, hurt, regret, sadness and.. hate?!

He was struggling to say something. I furrowed my eyebrows, he seemed to be reliving something bitter from his past.

Did something happen to him?!

I touched his jaw softly, which broke the trance that he was in. He looked directly into my eyes, raw pain and hate passed through his eyes which he masked quickly. I was startled by the unexpected emotions I saw in his eyes.

"If it's hard, then-" I tried to say even though I wanted to know but seeing him like this, I thought he was finding it hard to reveal it to me, but he cut me, shaking his head.

"No! I want you to know everything about me. I already regret not telling you everything before which became the reason for our suffering." He replied determined. I gave him a small encouraging smile to let him know that I am here. He took a deep breath.

"M-my mom cheat-cheated on my dad and left us for some other man," He said quickly as if letting it out before he lost the courage to speak.

His words registered in my head a few seconds later. My eyes widened in shock. His hate and hurt, visible in his voice. His wounds were not healed yet and now it was opened again. I felt my heart clenched painfully in my chest, to see him in pain.

Aiden's POV:

Adira looked at me shocked, pure worry and pain visible on her face. I observed her expressions, there was no judgment, no pity and no negative expression, it was just pure concern and pain, for me. My heart swelled with love for my wife once again. I snuggled her close to me, desperately wanting her near me for comfort, at least, she was with me. My love. My woman. My wife.