Chapter 42

Aiden's POV:

Dad was speeding so much to follow behind mom, I held the car seat firmly. I was scared that we might get into an accident if we continued going at this speed.

We caught sight of mom's car three cars ahead of us.

"D-dad!" I said in a small voice, but he was very focused on driving. Dad sped up more when mom's car was almost out of our sight.

"Dad, please slow down, it's dangerous, we have cars around. We might get into an accident." I said loudly to get his attention, who seemed to be in a daze.

My words broke his trance as his eyes landed on me, turning soft. He stepped on the brakes.

But..!

He pressed again..

And then again...

The brakes didn't work!

I noticed my dad's eyes panicked and his breathing became ragged. We overtook a few cars at high speed as dad maneuvered the car to the free roadway.

"Dad!!" I called in panic.

"It's okay, son! We will be safe. Nothing will happen, I promise you." He said calmly, glancing at me and then focused on driving. I could see he was in panic but he was trying his best to slow down the car, which was not working at all.

We were on a narrow free roadway, trees on both sides, no way to turn the car around. I panicked more because the road was too dark and there was no other light, except the car's headlights.

"Aiden! Son, are you okay?" Dad asked me but my eyes widened looking straight when I noticed a sharp light of headlights coming straight towards us.

"Dad!!!" I shouted and dad looked straight in panic. It was a car.. no, it was bigger.. It was a truck! And it was too close.

Dad looked at me, tears, panic, fear and helplessness, evident in his eyes. He took a sharp turn towards my side, taking the car off road into the forest area. He unbuckled his seatbelt and launched towards me, covering my body with his just as the truck hit our car from the side, crashing us directly into the tree.

Everything turned into a slow motion around me as the glass broke and pierced deep into my dad's skin and my arms. I groaned in pain, looking out for him, whose hands were around me, protecting my little body with his large one, taking most of the impact. I wrapped my small hands around my dad, trying to protect him as everything turned dark.

*********

I opened my eyes, groaning in pain and looked around when I couldn't move my body. I lost consciousness when our car collided hard with another tree. I felt my dad try to move a little.

"D-dad!" I called him in panic when I felt a warm liquid on my hands which were around my dad.

"S-son, d-don't worry! I'm f-f-fine. You g-get out o-of car and t-try to f-find help." He moved his body with much struggle so I could get out from under him.

"I-I won't leave you here, dad!" I said, determined.

"L-look at me, s-son. We n-need help and I-I can't move. Y-you have g-got to f-find help." He spoke, breathing heavily. I nodded in panic and dad helped me get out of the car. I had just a few cuts in my arms and few injuries on my head and legs.

I looked at my dad inside the car. His lower body was completely stuck under the bended car and he was badly injured. I cried hysterically seeing my dad injured and bleeding profusely.