Chapter 8

Silence coated the room. The whimpers of the man stopped before your brother finally backed down. You're father released his arms and allowed him to fall to the ground. Bloody and battered he laid motionless. Your sister hid behind a table leg leaning over to peep out with one eye. You look down at her and swing her into your arms. You hadn't seen her under the table when you walked in. You held her head to your chest and turned her around.

You heard the rustling of your father as he carried the man away. Throwing his limp body out on the street. Not caring who saw. It would serve as a warning for those who threatened his name. Your mother frantically reaches for her wand. Sebastian places an arm on your back for silent support. You gave no reaction. Your mother stands before you and places her wand at your eye "Episkey" she whispers. You feel the burning sensation that surrounded your eye fade. Renee held onto you tighter.

"Foolish of him to barge in here like that." Elias comments as he sat himself before his dinner once more. He began eating without worry. Blood still staining his fists.

Ominis sat unmoving in the same chair. Unsure of what to say or do. Though you had assured him your family was nothing like his, he had reasons to doubt that more than ever now. For fear of retaliation he refused to give a reaction.

"You look beautiful as ever, dear." Your mother declared as she put her wand to her side "you've sustained worse in training I'm sure."

Sebastian wanted to say something but knew it best not to. Admirable as it was for father and brother to protect their own something about how they all spoke was off. Solomon could be cold, but this seemed so bizarre. He couldn't quite place what made it all so uncomfortable. Their casual violence, how they spoke to you, or how unfazed they all were. Perhaps all of it.

"Are you hungry?" Your mother beckons to the small plate she had set aside previously. One small enough for your young sister "I made you a plate." She sat herself down without your answer. Sebastian looked at you as you remained turned, still holding Renee. A moment passes before you spin around. The same smile as always.

"Actually, mother I'm tired. I think me and my friends should retire for the evening." You insisted "I can put Renee down as well."

"If you insist, dear." She smiled "Maybe we'll have a bigger breakfast tomorrow since you'll be missing tonight's food."

"That sounds lovely." You say as you pull Sebastian with you. Once you reach Ominis you release him and pull up the blind boy and lead them down the hall. No one said a word as you reach the black staircase and ascended. Renee looked over your shoulder at the two boys. Sebastian noted her tears. She hasn't made any vocal signs of crying. Instead doing so in silence.

You lead the boys down a hall upstairs and stop at a door at the end of the hall. Releasing Ominis you open it for then, revealing your room. The same one Sebastian saw in the documentary.

"Go ahead I'll be back shortly." You encourage them "I just have to put her down."

"In your room?" Sebastian wondered.

"Yes." You say as you walk back down the hall with the child. Sebastian looked at Ominis as he made his way in. He slowly followed behind as he looked around. The spiral staircase leading to the second story of your room was in the corner. He remembered how at the beginning of the summer that staircase and second story was the most surprising thing about you. That was no longer the case.

He looked over and saw your large bed. Much bigger than the twin bunk bed he slept on. It had sheer curtains having from the ceiling enclosing the bed. Your room was much cleaner than his home. Not a single item out of place.

"I'm not sure what to say." Ominis admits.

"Me neither." Agreed Sebastian "I don't know what to make of it."