Chapter 13

He remained close as you explored the seemingly never ending hallways. Your eyes tracing the moving portraits that lined the walls. You tried to ignore all the students staring and talking about you as though you couldn't hear them. Girls in awe and boys smirking as you glance in their direction. As if you craved their approval.

Ominis lead you town a flight of stairs. The glow of his red wand on your face. Matching the setting sun that beamed through the stained glass windows. You had wondered where he was taking you since all of you classes were finished for the day. Just like you Ominis had his secrets.

Both of you approach a large oak door slowly. His hand extends out to open it revealing the Hogwarts grounds and waits for you to exit. You do so and he follows close behind. You were comfortable with the silence you both shared. Whenever Sebastian was around and it was the three of you Ominis tended to be the quiet one. You and Sebastian would chat for hours without any input from him. Though it was never intentional.

It was nice to be able to see Ominis alone. You couldn't recall a time where you had ever hung out with him solo. Your eyes dance over to him to see his face towards the direction you were headed. You try and pin point the exact direction his wand was facing, but all that was before you was a large blooming tree. It was rather beautiful.

"Will you tell me now where we are headed?" You finally spoke up.

"I've already told you that it is no where special." He reminded.

"Then why not tell me?" You wonder. He stops in his tracks.

"Because, we are already here." He states matter of factly.

"A blooming tree?" You chuckle.

"I thought you liked flowers." He teases as he takes a seat on a stump.

"Ah, you're bested me." You return the same tone as you sit adjacent to him. You take note of his stiffness. As though he was on guard. His fingers danced between themselves. Similar to how yours used to. Your eyes gaze down at the scarred tips of your fingers. After you came home that night you refused to allow your mother to heal them like she had in the past. 'What would people think?' She alway said whenever the scratches got too deep. 'Whatever they want' was the last thing you replied. As if the scarring on your fingers was the most frightening thing about you anymore.

"May I ask you something that you might not want to answer?" Ominis's voice was cautious.

"Yes."

"That day when everything happened at Feldcroft." He paused. Was he afraid of overstepping or afraid of what your answer might be? "When your father barged in and forced you to look at her. All the guards surrounded you and dragged you out by your hair. I hadn't realized how strong you were at that time. I knew you had training, I suspect you used wandless magic, and I knew you family too be powerful. But, I never knew the extent of what you we're capable of. So." He stopped again for a moment wondering if he should continue. "Why didn't you fight back in that moment?"

Out of everything you had assumed he might want to ask that certainly wasn't something you anticipated. It caught you off guard. Your brows furrowed as you shifted uncomfortably.  "I never even to fight. Even in that moment."

"Even though you knew what he wanted you to do?" Ominis questioned.

"I'm not saying that I didn't think of it. But, I thought about the consequences. I weight the options I had. I could have hurt any of you in that room if I did defend myself." You couldn't lift your eyes to face him. They remained glued on the tips of your fingers.

"We would have understood."

"If I would have fought my father would haven't held back. And, he wouldn't think twice of hurting anyone in that room." You finally say the truth "my refusal could have led to one of your deaths."