Unveiling of the Green Ninja

Onyx stood on the deck of the Bounty, listening to Garmadon cry Lloyd's name. She stared at the volcano spewing pumice and flames high into the sky, hiding the Sun behind clouds of ash. Onyx fought to keep her body from shaking, and the burn in her eyes at bay. Nya came up beside her. "Kai," she whispered, hands clenching on the railing.

Just like her, Nya was struggling to keep her emotions from spilling over. "Nya, are you- is there anything I can do to help?" Onyx asked, realizing after a few words that Nya wasn't okay, and probably wouldn't be for a while. Nya's head dropped into her hands. "Just promise that you won't die, okay? I don't want to lose anyone else," she said.

Her words were like being kicked in the teeth. Onyx pushed her finger down. The joint popped, but she didn't let go. Nya grabbed her hand. "Stop. Please, stop," she whispered. Onyx hadn't even realized that she'd been about to break the digit. "I'm sorry. I just... I'm sorry," she said, tears starting to fill her eyes. Nya grabbed her and yanked her into a hug.

The two watched the ash billow across the sky, consuming more and more light. It was so dark, it could've been dusk. Then, from the top of the volcano burst a huge ball of fire, illuminating the dark cloud with orange light. It flew towards the Bounty at a rapid speed. No one would be able to could reach the wheel in time to avoid it. Onyx covered her head, fear shooting through her. Of all the ways to die, burning was one of the worst she could think of. Onyx smashed her face into Nya's side, ashamed at her cowardice but unable to dispel it.

"Onyx, look," Nya said. She waited a few more seconds, expecting pain, but none came. Onyx looked up slowly. Then she gasped. Encased safely within the ball of flame were Kai and Lloyd. Onyx gave a strangled cry of relief. "It's Kai! He's found his true potential!" Jay shouted, running over to the edge of the ship, Cole, Zane, Wu, and Garmadon quickly following. Kai dropped down onto the deck. A strange look passed between him and Wu. Then the light flickering in his eyes and the flames dancing around him faded as he collapsed, unconscious from the strain, to the deck.

Everyone stood in the bridge, Kai having recovered enough to stand, watching Garmadon and Lloyd hug each other. "Dad, is it really you?" He whispered. Garmadon smiled. "It is, son," he said. Lloyd backed up a few steps. "Dad, why do you have four arms?" He asked. Onyx gave a thick laugh and dashed over to Lloyd, giving him a tight hug. "Onyx, ow!" He gasped as she squeezed. She held on for a moment longer before letting go and stepping back.

Cole laughed. "He's gonna be okay," he said. Garmadon looked at Kai. "Thank you, Kai," he said, gratitude in his voice. "But how did you survive?" How did you discover the key to unlocking your powers?" Zane asked. Kai didn't hesitate. "I knew when I had to make a choice. I wanted the Fangblade so badly. To prove that I was good enough to become the Green Ninja. But then I figured it out. All of my training wasn't in preparation to become the Green Ninja... it was to protect him," Kai said.

All eyes turned to Lloyd. The realization of what Kai's words meant crashed over Onyx. "Then he's..." Onyx instinctively drew the daggers as all the other ninja pulled out their Golden Weapons and lay them together at Lloyd's feet. "What are you-?" Lloyd's words were cut off short as the weapons glowed with an otherworldly light, and green lightning crackled between them.

Onyx stared at the phenomenon in amazement. Now that the moment of truth had come, now that they knew who the Green Ninja was, she thought she'd be relieved. Instead she felt like they had failed. They had discovered the Green Ninja, that conflict had been resolved. And yet... she wasn't happy. That meant that she wasn't part of the prophecy at all. That she-that she wasn't a real ninja. Wu's gaze met her horrified stare. His eyes narrowed a bit. "I'll speak with you later," he mouthed. It didn't completely dispel the chilling feeling, but it helped slightly.

"Lloyd is the Green Ninja. I thought it would be one of you, but it was him the whole time. It all makes sense. Not only have you five been chosen to protect the Golden Weapons, but also to protect the Chosen One," Wu said. There it was. That stupid prophecy again. Onyx looked away, only to see Garmadon's horrified face. "Then... then that means...." He choked.

"The battle lines have been drawn, brother. Sadly, our family has only become more divided. First, it was brother against brother. Now, it is father against son," Wu said. A sorrowful silence fell over the group. As they realized that Lloyd would have to fight, and someday defeat, his father.

Jay broke the silence with a nervous laugh. "Hey, this is heavy and all, but what happened to the Fangblade?" He asked. Kai's hands tightened into fists. "We failed to get one again," he spat.

————————————————————————
I am SO sorry about how late this update is. Theatre has been absolutely insane. We're a little over halfway through the show, and we'll off book and running the whole shabang on Friday. I can't wait! I auditioned for another show, but I didn't make it. And for some reason, just about the entire cast of 28 has asked me if I'm autistic. It's confusing.