The Caged Bird

The ninja, Wu, and Nya sat inside the cage. Nya and Wu were looking at the Samurai X mech, hoping Lloyd would radio them. Jay was sketching something on the metal bottom with a piece of white chalk Zane had had in his pocket while the ice ninja watched, Kai paced impatiently, and Onyx wrapped a few bandages around her wrists. The claws had torn deeper than she'd realized.

"Why did the hands scare you so much?" Zane asked. Onyx managed to conceal a wince. Of course they had noticed. It wasn't like she'd been trying to hide her fear. "They felt like corpses. It was like a nightmare I had once," she said. "Ah," was all Zane said. It was a reasonable answer. Enough to satisfy them, anyway. She didn't want to mention that they reminded her of strangleweed.

Suddenly the radio crackled, and Lloyd's voice spoke from the mech. "Nya, I got your message. I'm here, but my dad left. How are you guys holding on?" He asked. "We're fine, but-" Lloyd's voice cut Nya off. "Nya? Hello?" He said. Nya growled and flung a rock at the mech. "Lloyd, can you hear me now?" She asked. "Yeah. Are you okay?" Lloyd asked. "We're fine, but a little held up at the moment. Our weapons have been taken, and we're locked in a cage," Nya answered. "And Pythor has taken the fourth Fangblade," Cole added. "Lloyd, where did your father go?" Zane asked.
"I-I told him to leave. He was trying to steal secrets," Lloyd said. "Oh, big surprise there. I told you, but you guys wouldn't listen!" Kai cried. "We get it, you're smart and we're dumb. Can we hurry up and figure this out?" Onyx whispered.

"My dad's gone back to where he came from. But don't worry; I'll save you," Lloyd said. "You're not ready Lloyd. Your destiny is too great to risk," Wu argued. "Hate to break it to you Sensei, but if we don't get out of here before Pythor releases the Great Devourer, I think all our destinies will end," Cole said. "He's right, and I won't die like a caged bird!" Onyx snapped, an uncharacteristic passion in her voice. "I'll get you out of there in a jif!" Lloyd said. The radio crackled and fell silent.

"Together we have taken back the four Fangblades. When we return them to the city of Ouroboros, together we will unleash the Great Devourer!" Pythor shouted. Then, with the golden staff he held the Fangblades on, he pointed to the stairs. "To the city of Ouroboros!" However, the snakes didn't move. "We spent so much time digging this fortress. Why not use it a little more?" A Constrictai said. "At least let us celebrate our victory," a Venomari said. Skales leaned over and whispered something to Pythor. He hesitated, but finally nodded. "Fine, but no one is to let their guard down, and first thing tomorrow, we head for Ouroboros. But we shall celebrate with a Slither Pit!" the purple Serpentine declared.

She clenched her fists in frustration. Every moment they spent waiting for Lloyd, every second that passed, they were creeping closer to the point of no return. "I won't die like a caged bird.... I won't fall like a trampled flower... I am the hunter, and they will lose. We're going to save Ninjago."

Onyx leaned her head against the bars, watching the snakes battle each other. "Ugh, so all we can do is wait? This is killing me," Kai groaned. "Patience. Lloyd will figure something out," Wu said. "So we're putting all our faith in the son of the greatest villain Ninjago has ever seen. Uh, is anyone else having doubts about this plan? Just because we don't have our weapons doesn't mean we can't use our powers, we just need to focus," Kai argued. "This chamber is made out of vengestone. Our elements don't work here. And Lloyd isn't his father. I trust him," Onyx said, not taking her eyes off of the snakes. Maybe she could learn something useful.

After a few minutes, she sighed and watched Jay and Zane play checkers with random junk they'd found in their pockets. Kai tapped his foot impatiently, leaning back against the bars and watching them. Jay reached for a tube of hair oil to jump Zane and be kinged, but Kai snatched it away before he could touch the blue container. "Hey, that hair oil was about to be kinged!" Jay cried. "Yeah? Well I'm about to get us out of here," Kai said, squirting a generous amount onto his palm and rubbing it all over his gi.