3 - #BFF

"Thanks for the dinner. It was—" Jake stopped by my front door and made a chef's kiss gesture. "Good night."

Bree smiled. "Good night."

"Goodbye! Don't come back!" I waved at Jake and gave him my widest grin before slamming the door closed.

"I definitely will!" Jake's voice trembled with laughter.

"Ugh. Can you believe that guy?" I stomped toward the kitchen and picked up my phone from the counter. "He has absolutely no shame whatsoever."

Bree let out a tiny chuckle.

"What?" I frowned.

"I just find it funny how you're acting all hostile toward him when thirteen years ago, you always begged Mom to let you fly to Boston to visit him every time he was hospitalized."

Heat crept up my cheeks. "First of all, I was nine. I was being silly." I spun around and strode into the living room. "And second, he was dying. I was being a good friend. And third? He wasn't the spoiled kid who runs away from home to join the circus and regularly steals food from poor people like us."

"We're not that poor."

"We're poorer than him," I retorted, and Bree's lips curved to one side in agreement.

I grabbed the TV remote and flopped onto the sofa. I was about to turn on the TV when my phone dinged.

There was a new notification from TweetyGram.

@PrincessTortieCafferty has requested to follow you

I smiled when I saw the cat's profile picture; a cute photo of her wearing a lovely tiara with pink gems. A quick visit to her profile page confirmed my earlier guess: with a well-deserved 1.1 million followers, Princess Tortie was indeed TweetyFamous.

All the photos on her page were the very definition of cuteness overload, from her innocent expression to her various costumes—all of which she seemed to enjoy wearing.

As I scrolled through her posts, another notification arrived.

@CrazyCatDaddy has requested to follow you

My body shook with laughter when I saw Jake's profile picture: a selfie of him photobombed by his furbaby.

I accepted Princess Tortie and his crazy cat daddy's follow request and followed them back.

As I visited Jake's profile page, Bree took a seat next to me. "Found anything interesting to write about already?"

"Nah. It's just Goldilocks and his cat." I hit the back button, returning to my notification page. The smile on my face faltered when I saw the unanswered follow request.

@NatalieWinters has requested to follow you

A part of me wanted to know how my former best friend was doing and maybe reconnect with her. Yet something stopped me from accepting the request.

"Nat sent me a follow request," I said.

Bree's eyebrow tipped up. "Oh?"

"I haven't accepted it though."

"Why not? She's your friend."

"More like was. I haven't talked to her in years, and I . . ."

My eyes shifted between Nat's profile picture and my profile picture on the far right of the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. With her long tresses styled in Classic Hollywood waves and her natural beauty enhanced with soft-glam makeup, Nat was red-carpet ready in the glamorous portrait.