25 - #PrincessTortie

"Just so we're clear, this is your third, and final, request." I strode into Jake's apartment and put my phone, laptop, and notebook on the dining table.

"Yes, thank you." Jake picked up the purple leash on the table and handed it to me, making me frown in confusion. "I need you to take Princess Tortie for a walk. She'll lead the way."

The black-and-orange cat bumped her head against my leg and gazed up at me, looking extremely adorable in a pink vest with a pair of angel wings on its back.

"I've written down everything you need to do for tonight." Jake grabbed the piece of paper stuck on the refrigerator with a magnet and gave it to me. "If you need more toys for her playtime, there are more in my room."

What kind of a ten-year-old cat needs regular play time? I glanced at the stack of toys in the living room and spotted a pink teaser stick next to the cat tunnel. Unlike the other toys, the rainbow-colored furry feather on the end of the stick was in a pristine condition. Narrowing my eyes, I pointed at the toy and asked, "That's new, isn't it?"

Jake's eyes widened, almost as if screaming, "How the heck did she know that?"

I put my fists on my hips. "I thought I told you to stop buying new toys for Princess Tortie."

"Yes, but it was on sale. Can't miss out on a good deal, right?" As I opened my mouth to protest, he cleared his throat. "Where was I? Ah. For dinner, she needs to be spoonfed—"

"Did you just say spoonfed?" I furrowed my brow.

"Just read my notes. I'll be home as soon as I can." He picked up his backpack and strode toward the door.

Following him, I squinted to read the terrible handwriting on the paper.

7 p.m. – 8 p.m. Walk in the park

8 p.m. – 8.15 p.m. Dinner

Tonight's dinner: 1 can of Cat Royale's Smooth Salmon Paté for 7yrs+ (I've put the can, her bowl, and her spoon on the dining table)

Snack: MIAO! Tuna with scallops – 1 TUBE ONLY (she'll ask for more, but DON'T give it to her)

8.15 p.m. – 9.00 p.m. Playtime

9.00 p.m. – 10.00 p.m. Watching Super Bestie on TweetyFlix

"Hey," Jake said, stopping before the door, "I don't have any spare bed, so you can just sleep in mine."

The thought of sleeping in his bed sent a rush of heat across my cheeks. Don't be ridiculous, Lindsey. It's not like you're going to sleep in his bed with him in it.

"Or the sofa," Jake quickly added with an awkward smile. "Take your pick."

Avoiding his gaze, I swallowed and gave him a thumbs-up. "Got it."

Just as I was about to close the door, he stopped and spun to face me. "Oh, I almost forgot. My grandma's coming to L.A. this weekend. Are you free this Friday?"

"Yeah."

He tilted his head to look over my shoulder. "Princess Tortie, you be good, okay? Daddy will be back as soon as possible. Love you." Switching his gaze back to me, he said, "Thanks, Shrimp. I owe you one."

I waited until he disappeared down the stairs before I closed the door. Leaning back against the door, I blew out a long sigh. Geez, Lindsey. What is wrong with you?

"Meow." Princess Tortie stared up at me, her head tilted to one side and eyes wide with anticipation.

"Looks like someone's excited to go for a walk, huh?"