4 - #IDreamOfGenie

I was fast asleep when my phone buzzed.

And again.

And again.

I reached for my phone on the nightstand and glanced at the screen. There were multiple notifications from TweetyGram. Thinking it was Nat sending me the victim list, I quickly tapped on the notification.

@ParisInParis has requested to follow you

The user's profile picture was a photo of a woman posing in front of the Eiffel Tower. The photo was too small to make out facial features, but there was only one Paris I knew that would be bold enough to dye her hair an eye-catching blend of emerald green and neon yellow—and crazy enough to message me at two in the morning: my former-bandmate-slash-BFF Paris Xu.

Great. How did she find me?

Another message arrived in my inbox.

And another.

And another.

I let out a grunt and opened the messages.

LINDSEY MARILYN DARLING!!!!!!!!!

IT'S MEEEEE!!!

YOUR FAVORITE SMOOTHIE PARISSSSS!!!!

REPLY OR I WILL SPAM YOU

SPAM

I huffed out a chuckle. It seemed like Paris hadn't changed at all, still overly excited—and overly dramatic—about everything. While I typed in a response, she continued flooding my inbox with spam messages.

SPAM

SPAM

Hey

Another message arrived right as I pressed the send button.

SPAM

Oh, you've replied!

Sorry, didn't see it LOL

Btw, I've followed you, follow me back!

She didn't wake me up at two just to ask me to follow her back, did she? If there was one thing I hated the most, it was when people interrupted my sleep. It was even worse when they did so for petty reasons such as requesting a follow on TweetyGram.

Do you know what time it is?

She replied faster than I could say pineapple.

Oops, sorry!

It's like, what? 2 a.m. there?

Did I wake you?

It's eleven here in Paris, so . . .

Sorry!

I could almost hear her voice saying, "Saw-ray" and her high-pitched giggle. As annoying as it was, I couldn't help but smile.

I approved her follow request and followed her back before sending her a response.

It's okay.

I see you've finally dyed your hair.

YES! What do you think?

Back when we'd been in school together, Paris had had shiny black hair that complemented her peachy complexion and made her round face appear slimmer. Yet for some reason, she always hated her hair color and envied mine (even though I envied hers). If it wasn't for her strict parents and our school's no-hair-dye rule, she would've changed her hair color years ago. Yet even though I was sure she would dye her hair once she graduated, a blend of green and yellow was the last thing I expected.