27 - #PSIStillHateYou

Nat sure worked fast. It had only been a few hours ago that I'd asked her to gather information about the book Trish had given to the Wolf, but now she was calling me to report her findings.

I placed the phone on my vanity, turned on the speaker, and picked up my flat iron. "What have you got?"

"So, I've talked to Eva, the agency's receptionist, and she told me she remembered a pretentious teenage girl dropping off a flashy package for Eleanor," Nat answered. "She said the package was wrapped in red wrapping paper, and the girl stuck some cheeky letter stickers on it that said FROM YOUR BFF TRISH."

"Yep. That's what we're looking for." Steam rose into the air as I clamped the iron down my hair, creating loose waves. "What happened to that package?"

"Well, the agency required every package from fans to be checked by the mailroom clerk. Honestly, they should. Eleanor once got a plush toy with a hidden camera in it. I mean, seriously. Some fans can be super creepy. Like—"

"Nat, focus."

"Right. Anyway, Eva gave the package to the mailroom clerk in charge of checking gifts for the talents."

"Alright, then we should—"

"Talk to the mailroom clerk. Way ahead of you. According to him, since it was out of office hours, he put the package with other fan mail for Eleanor before he went to the party. But here's where things get weird. When he went to work on Monday, the package was already gone."

"Back up a—ouch." I winced as my forefinger accidentally touched the hot iron plate. "There was a party at the agency the day Trish dropped off the book?"

"Mm-hmm. It was a welcome party for new talents; me and Cocobear, Eleanor, Charity, and Harriet included." The cheerfulness in her voice disappeared when she muttered, "Cocobear almost got lost in the building because of that crazy dogfluencer Miss Doggo that night. Can you believe her human just stood by while she tried to maul my baby?"

"Wait—"

"Seriously, that crazy dog should've been put in doggy jail. She almost bit Cocobear, for crying out loud. Thank God Cocobear's one heck of a fast runner and thank God I asked Almond to come with me that night because I wouldn't have been able to chase her in stilettos and I would've lost her!" she fumed.

I listened to Nat's angry breathing for a few seconds. "Are you done?"

"Yeah."

A tiny chuckle slipped out of me. "You're telling me Almond, Charity, and Harriet were in the AAA's building that day? But not Sera?"

"Mm-hmm. Why would Sera be at the AAA's office?"

Relief washed over me, and I made a mental note to move Sera's name to the bottom of my suspect list. "Right."

"You know, Charity and Harriet filmed a studio tour in the building that day. I think it's still available to watch on their TweetyTube channel." She paused. "You think one of them took the package?"

"I still need concrete proof, but yeah."

She hummed, and I imagined she was nodding to herself. "So what are we going to do now?"

Assuming the person who wolved Trish and the Malibu Wolf are the same person, the only name I could cross from the suspect list was Sera's. The other three still had equal opportunity to be the Wolf.

I could think of two ways to unmask the Wolf. One, find the book Trish had sent them. But even if my hunch was right and they still kept the book, it would require access to their home, assuming that was where they kept it. It would be too risky to search all three suspects' homes, which was why I went for the second option.