6 - #TeamTori

I knocked on Jake's door five minutes before our scheduled meeting time, grinning so hard my cheeks hurt. Today had been excellent, and the interview with Jake's sister would be the perfect way to end it.

Jake opened the door and grimaced when he saw me. "What's with that grin? It's creeping me out."

"I'm in a good mood, so I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear you." I bounced past him into the apartment and spotted Princess Tortie sitting on the sofa, watching Super Bestie on TV. "Hiya, Princess Tortie."

She responded with a short meow, her eyes glued on the cartoon animal superheroes running around on the 42-inch screen.

Kids.

"So." I spun around to face Jake, rubbing my hands together. "How are we going to do this?"

He motioned to the laptop on the kitchen table and pulled out a chair for me. As I got ready for the interview, he opened the TweetyMeet app on his laptop and called his sister. A few seconds later, Kristen's face popped into view.

The teenage girl was still wearing her school uniform, a baby-blue polo shirt with the academy's logo embroidered on it, which made me feel a bit guilty for conducting this interview on a school night. Yet she didn't seem to mind. 

Her glossed lips curved into a bright smile when she saw us. "Hi!"

"Hey." Jake waved at the screen and took a seat next to me. "This is the journalist I talked to you about. Kristen, Lindsey. Lindsey, Kristen."

"Hi," I greeted. "Thanks for agreeing to talk to me."

"Anything for Jake's girlfriend."

I choked on air. Leaning sideways toward Jake, I muttered, "You told her about us?"

"Of course, he did!" Kristen replied, her light-brown eyes gleaming with excitement. "He can't stop talking about you. It's always Lindsey this, Lindsey that. You know, I think it's super romantic that you two"

Jake pressed the mute button and glanced at me. "Just trying to make it look legit."

I could've sworn I saw him blushing a little, but I shrugged it off.

I shifted my gaze back to the blonde on the screen as Jake unmuted her. "So, Kristen. Let's start from the beginning. How did you first come in contact with this Malibu Wolf?"

She took a deep breath and let it out with a whoosh, her expression turning serious. "They followed me on TG and—" She stopped as a teenage girl in purple pajamas appeared beside her.

"Hi, Jake. Hi, Jake's girlfriend," the dark-haired girl greeted us with a wave of her hand.

Jake returned the gesture. "Hey, Rochelle."

"Seriously," I tilted my head sideways and muttered, "how many people did you tell about us?"

"Just Kristen and my grandma," he whispered back. "I swear."

"Don't mind me. Just want to grab my nail polish." As Rochelle bent down, there was a sound of a drawer sliding open and closed. "Got it." She wiggled the bottle of candy-apple-red nail polish, her mouth stretched into a grin that revealed a gleaming row of pink braces on her teeth. "Bye, Jake. Bye, Jake's girlfriend!"

Jake and I plastered on our biggest smiles and waved back at her.

Once she was out of the camera's view, I cleared my throat and steered the conversation back on track. "So, Kristen. How did you come in contact with the Malibu Wolf?"

"They followed me on TG and DMed me, thanking me for my comment and telling me they wanted to be friends with me," she recalled.

"And you just believed that a TV star wanted to be friends with you because you left a stupid comment on their TweetyGram post," Jake scoffed.