29.

And so began James not speaking to me, and vice versa. We sat on opposite sides of our friends at meals. I stopped giving him homework answers. He stopped including me in plans with the boys. It'd been a week of this. We had two weeks until the end of the year. Which meant a week and a half until the end of the term party. Which meant Remus, Sirius, and Pete were working tirelessly on both ends to try and fix things between us.

"I'm just saying if I hear one more but Nova he loves you, I'm transfiguring into you and forgiving him myself." Marls told me as we sat in our dorm. Lily laughed.

"Nova, for the good of the best party every year, please speak to him."

"No he's a dick."

"Are you going to ignore him all summer at Potter Manner?"

"If I have to."

"Nova, this is ridiculous. I'm one petty argument from locking you two in a room and telling you to fight it out!" Lily scolded me. Marlene perked up.

"Do not."

"I'm going to."

"I already know your plan, now I'm not going into any room with you two." Marlene sunk back down.

"Nova!" Sirius yelled as he burst through the door.

"It's done, you're done fighting. He was a git, but Merlin Potters we have a party to plan and not nearly enough time to do it." Remus said as he tightened his grip on James' wrist. I stared at them.

"Tell her." Sirius demanded, Peter poked him in the back. James sighed.

"I was a git." He mumbled. Remus glared at him.

"The whole thing."

"I was a git and I'm sorry. You've just been distant lately and I was scared I was losing you. You're my best friend and my little sister okay? I'm sorry."

"We're the same age." I said as I stood up to hug him.

"I'm ten minutes older."

"We shared a womb, conceived on the same day, ten minutes means nothing when we literally chose to keep each other alive." He hugged me tighter.

"They're back!" Sirius cheered as everyone joined the hug. I laughed.

"How are we going to survive without them all summer?" I asked James, he grinned.

"We won't, they'll be 'round." I giggled as I felt Marlene and Pete squeeze me.

🗡️🗡️🗡️

"Darling, in the nicest way possible, you want me to risk my life and my grades to come to a party?" Regulus asked. I gave him a look. I'd been trying to convince him for the last thirty minutes to come to the party. He was not budging.

"It's a party Reggie." I said, he bit back a smile at the nickname.

"Baby, think of the consequences."

"Love, it's an open house party. Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, Gryffindors, even Slytherins will be there. There's not consequences for every action."

"I'll stop by."

"You'll stop by?"

"Stop."

"I can count on Rosier being there but not you?"

"Please stop being dramatic."

"Maybe I'll spend the night with Rosier then."

"Oh for fucks sake, Nova, I'll be there!" I smiled. "I hate when you do that."

"Do what?"

"Make me agree with your stupid plans." I kissed his cheek.

"Get used to it. I'm very persuasive."

"You're a pain in my ass."

"You love me." He smiled at me.

"Always."

🗡️🗡️🗡️

I laid in the yard with Remus while we hid out from the party planning. We used the ruse of homework, it worked every time. See, the group wanted us to do the homework so they didn't fail with the exception of Lily. Lily joined us on these little getaways once or twice back in first year, but once she realized homework wasn't getting done she felt her time was better spent elsewhere.

"Are your friends coming to the party?" He asked, I turned to look at him.

"They are. Is James gonna kill me?"

"He might. I'll protect you though."

"I will, y'know, legally have to beat his ass if he does something like that again." I said referring to the other night, he smiled.

"I, for legal purposes, didn't hear that."

"For legal reasons, it was never said." He laughed. He took a moment before he decided to speak again. I knew when Moony had to rack his brain for the right thing to say I was either going to cry or feel so loved that I couldn't put it into words. I hoped for the latter.

"So tell me, how do the daughter of the sun and the son of death become such good mates?"

"That's James." I recalled the nickname. The son of the sun, Sirius coined it between first and second year. All he'd meant by it was that James was pure of heart, loving, caring, warm. James was always the sun.

"James is the daughter of the sun?" He asked, I laughed abruptly. He chuckled lowly.

"James is the sun." I finally said, he looked at me.

"What does that make you?" I thought about it for a moment. Eventually I shrugged.

"The shadows he casts."

"You're the sky Nova. The whole goddamn sky, day or night."

"No." I replied, he grabbed my hand.

"You are the only think keeping us together Vix. If James gets to be the sun, Sirius the stars, Me the moon, then you are sure as hell the goddamn sky." I smiled awkwardly. He smiled back in the same fashion as he dropped my hand.

Aside from me and James, this analogy played out based off of fact. Sirius had a constellation and Moony had the moon. James got the sun because he was warm and inviting to almost everyone, but once you crossed him you could expect to get burned. I knew Moony meant well in his analogies, but I was pretty sure he forgot where Nova came from. Supernova. A star that gets too hot and too bright that it explodes. It was like my parents knew from the day I was born I'd have a temper.

"You ever think how easy it would have been if we fell for each other?" I asked as we both laid back. He turned his head to look at me.

"You don't like easy."

"And you like Sirius." He coughed as his breath caught in his throat.

"I do not like Sirius. We're best friends."

"Best friends, right."

"Nova, you're walking treacherous grounds."

"Hey! I know what it's like to like Sirius, I get it."

"You're projecting, Nova."

"Moony," I grabbed his hand and looked at him. "I know a thing or two about falling for the Black brothers. The longer you deny it, the worse it sucks when you realize you actually like them." He gave me a look, I shrugged before closing my eyes and turning my face back to the sky. He let out a "hm" and squeezed my hand a little tighter. We both knew what we knew and we would both take it to the grave if need be.

🗡️🗡️🗡️

okay y'all, i have one chapter left of this but before you kill me because you guys like it & i like writing it & it was what i originally started with there's going to be a follow up story. There's a time jump, it'll be fifth year for everyone & much more Nova and Reg focused. The chapters are longer, but if you guys want them around the same length I can break them up & make them about this length. okay i think that's all update wise, lmk your thoughts :) <3