Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

After we'd arrived in the City, and Layton had parked the car – he turned to me with a small smile of apology. "I didn't mean to snap at you, Gemini, you know that" he said to me. I did know that. Despite Layton's temperament, he did care about me. I knew that, and I couldn't overlook it. He just had an awful temper and dominance.

"I know" I smiled shyly, "but I still don't understand". There was a still moment between us, before Layton sighed heavily and ran a hand through his hair.

"Look I didn't have a good childhood, Gemini. It was horrible and awful, and something I don't ever what to think about again". Layton paused, a soft growl slipping through his lips. He was angry, but more than anything, he was hurt. I saw it in his eyes, even if he would never admit it – which I knew he wasn't.

I reached over and took his hand. It was a bold mood on my part – but, after mating with Layton I felt a lot more comfortable touching him. It was odd, but just the day before I would have never done something so bold. Layton gave me a small look, before lifting my hand to his lips and placing a soft kiss on it.

"So, I just want to make everything perfect, and to do that we have to stick to the plan". He gave me a soft look, "please say you understand".

"I get it" I replied – even though I didn't.

"Good" he nodded, before he leant over and pressed a kiss to my lips. I smiled into the kiss, our lips meeting in a passionate way. It was nice to kiss Layton, it felt so normal for me; like a second nature. He cupped me cheek, before deepening the kiss.

When we pulled apart, Layton smiled at me. The full grin I loved – I had seen it three times that day, and I still couldn't help but be left breathless. He wasn't only handsome when he smiled, but he also looked younger in some ways; happier, more carefree, almost.

"Where are we going?" I asked, when we got out the car and he took my hand.

"City council" he replied.

"What for?"

"Marriage certificate" he shrugged. The prospect of signing my name on a marriage certificate scared me, but I knew it was coming. Marriage inside the Werewolf community, marriage wasn't important. It was a human tradition, but we had to do it for legal reasons. It meant very little to Wolves, but it had to be done. "We need it so I can change my will, insurances and such" he said.

I nodded yes, "will I take your name?" I already had been made a Vetteriano when I was chosen, but marriage would make it legal.

"Of course" Layton scoffed, as if it were the most ridiculous thing in the world. I smiled at him, before letting him pull me to his side. Automatically I leant into his side.

It didn't take us long to sign the marriage certificate, and I didn't feel any different afterwards. We sat in front of a registered minister – just a man in a suit who sat behind a desk. There was no vow exchanging, nor any loving moments. It was simple signing of documents; it was hardly the wedding every girl dreamt of. I never dreamt of one, but it was different to how I imagined.