Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

I awoke with a splitting headache, a dull throbbing inside of my skull. The pain was awful and I whimpered, before I had even opened my eyes. I didn't want to open them – I was scared about where I was.

The last few moments before I was hit by my attacker, played in my mind, and I didn't want to know where I was. The odd thing was, I wasn't in some dungeon like I had thought; because I knew that I was lying on a bed, which confused me.

I was confused further, when I heard Layton's voice call to me. "Gemini, can you hear me? Are you awake?"

I groaned, in an attempt to say yes. I finally opened my eyes, and I came face to face with Layton's large green eyes. His eyes were harder, and colder, than I had ever seen them. My eyes took a few moments of focus, before I looked around.

I was in a hospital, the one in Hender Pack. Valentine stood on one side of the room, with Evan and his Pack doctor, whereas Layton sat next to the bed I lay in. "What happened?" I asked, as I tried to sit up. I whimpered in pain as I did so.

My head hurt, but so did my body. I groaned, as my head rested on my pillow. "I hurt" I complained. No one said anything, it was silent. "What happened?" I asked again. I looked at Layton, but he continued to just stare at me – no emotion in his eyes. "Layton, what happened?" He gave me no answer.

"Valentine, what's going on?" I pleaded, tears filling my eyes. Layton's behaviour was scaring me, it was like he was mad at me. Valentine gulped deeply, before he looked away from me. I glanced at Evan, who mirrored his deflective actions. "Someone please tell me" I cried.

"Alpha Female Vetteriano" the doctor finally spoke up, walking to the end of the bed. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this. But after the attacker knocked you out, they injected you with chemical cocktail of Mifepristone and Misoprostol".

I gave him a confused look, "what? What does that mean?" There was a moment, before the doctor cleared his throat, and explained what no one else wanted to.

"Mifepristone – when combined with Misoprostol – can be used in an induced abortion procedure. Mifepristone is commonly used to end pregnancies that are less than forty-nine days from conception. What is does, is inhibit the production of certain hormones. Without these hormones, the fetus is unable to stay attached to the uterine wall. As the fetus detaches from the wall, it begins to die and then is expelled from the womb".

I could hear blood pounding in my ears, and I swallowed deeply. "What are you saying?" I choked out, trying to meet my friend's eyes again. Valentine, nor Evan looked at me. Layton did – but his eyes were so cold that I turned away.

"I'm sorry, Alpha Female, but I'm afraid you lost your pup" the doctor said. Everything that was said after that, I didn't hear. I could hear nothing but my own heartbeat. I couldn't cry. I couldn't scream. I couldn't get angry.

There was only a few words going through my mind; my pup had died. My child, my unborn baby, had been killed, had been murdered, because someone didn't like my husband. It disgusted me that someone could kill an innocent pup because of Layton.

"Why?" I blurted out, speaking over the doctor – I hadn't been listening, so I wasn't sure what I was interrupting. But for the first time ever, I didn't care if I was being rude. All the eyes in the room turned to me. "Why did they do this?" I demanded, staring directly at Layton.

His jaw set, before he answered truthfully. "Not long before the Mating Ritual, I was in a feud with a neighbouring Alpha. He attacked a woman in my pack, almost killing her. However, I responded and I killed his mate. We called a truce, but I assume he is still wanting to get even".