Chapter Twenty Seven

Layton, Antony, Valentine and I all climbed into my husband's car. After the telephone conversation with Thomas, Layton had called his cousin, who had immediately flown over to our territory. I was glad to have Valentine's support.

Thomas wanted us to meet him in Chables Territory. I didn't know where that was; but Layton did. The Chables Pack was a small Wolf Pack, about two hours away. The old Alpha had upset Layton – a few years back – and he had killed him. After that, the Pack Wolves had fled to other Packs, leaving the territory completely unclaimed.

The drive was silent; thick with tension. Layton and Valentine were sat in the front, both of them rigid and stiff. It was an odd sight, seeing them like that; Valentine like a blonde angel and Layton like a dark devil – they were such opposites, it was almost humorous. No matter how many times I saw the cousins together, I was still shocked that they were so different.

Antony and I sat awkwardly in the back, both of us staring out the window. Occasionally we would glance at one another, and he would give me a small smile – trying to calm me down. I was grateful, because I knew he wasn't exactly the most sympathetic of people; but he knew how scary the situation was for me.

I felt completely out of my comfort zone, in every way. Layton, and the others, were used to fighting and killing and violence. But not me. I was used to a quiet life; staying at home and being a quiet housewife. That was what I was used to – staying at home, and looking after the aftermath of situations. I was a home-commitment solider, not one who went on front lines. Layton only took me along, as he was trying to demonstrate how he wanted me more involved in the Pack, and he wanted to try and give me more responsibilities.

"We're here" Layton grumbled as he slowed the car. I sat up straighter, and looked out the window.

The ground was muddy and uneven, a small dirt track in the middle of an overgrown forest. The vegetation was spreading rapidly out in all directions, giving the area an enchanted look. It was dark, the sun being blocked out by the thick trees.

We drove for a few minutes; all of us gripping the sides as the car threw us around a bit. Layton didn't apologies for the bumpy journey. When we got further into the heart of Chables Pack, I gulped deeply.

There was abandoned houses, and shops, all with broken windows and doors that were hanging off their hinges. The entire place looked like a ghost town – with only the sound of the car's tyres crunching the dry leaves filling the silence. I swallowed deeply; the place sent shivers over my spine.

When Layton pulled the car to a stop, and everyone got out, I paused slightly. Layton didn't notice, and began to look over the area. Valentine noticed, and opened my car door. Without a word, he held a hand out to me and helped me out.

He didn't drop my hand as we stood outside, a soft breeze blowing over us and making a few of the hanging doors creak. I was shaking – not out of coldness but out of fear – but Antony glanced in my direction and draped his coat over my shoulders anyway.

After Layton had finished looking over the area, he returned to the car. "No sign of him yet" he said. He glanced at where my hand was in Valentine, and where Antony's coat covered my shoulders.

Frowning deeply, Layton pulled the jacket off me and threw it back to his Beta. He then helped me put his coat on – rolling the sleeves up for me, before he glared at his cousin and took to holding my hand himself. I didn't comment on his possessiveness, because it was a small comfort in my discomforted state.

"I'm scared Layton" I whispered, a few minutes later. Valentine and Antony had gone to look over the area again; trying to find anything that remotely linked to the revengeful Alpha who was on his way.