Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Lunch time of the following day, the entire Endoro pack headed back to their territory. The car journey, with me and Layton, was quiet. I curled up on the passenger's seat, a blanket over me. I was tired, but I couldn't sleep.

I was thinking about Jacob, as I stared out the car window – the scenery rushing by. Layton was being quiet; and he was letting me have the radio on, which told me that he was trying to appease me. I didn't speak to Layton, and he didn't speak to me.

When we reached the territory, I felt the pressure in the air reduce and I felt like I could breathe again. It was like I had been stuck in a box, and had finally been let out and was able to notice how different the air was in that box to how it was outside the box. Being home, in the Endoro pack, felt like a breath of fresh air.

"Come on, you need to go to bed" Layton said, as we headed back into our house.

"I'm not that tired" I shrugged, as Layton placed our overnight bag down.

"You haven't slept in days, Gemini. Off to bed, now, I mean it". He wasn't going to argue with me, and I wasn't going to argue with him. So I let him tow me up to our bedroom. I quickly showered, before changing into my pyjamas and climbing into bed.

Layton took a seat next to me on the bed. Reaching up, he pushed a piece of hair behind me ear. "Go to sleep, Gemini. I have work to do, but I'll be back later on". He gave me a sad smile, before leaning down and kissing me. His lips were soft and dominate, and familiar.

As soon as he kissed me, I felt all my bad feelings washing away. All I wanted was Layton to kiss me, to cuddle me, to love me. So, when Layton pulled away, I quickly raised my head and brought our lips back together. He didn't deny my kisses, but instead deepened it by cupping my cheek and slipping my tongue into my mouth.

I lowered myself back onto the bed, bringing Layton with me. He didn't complain any, as he clambered onto the bed; all fours on top of me. I throw my arms around him, pulling him closer so that our bodies slot together.

After Layton and I made love, I cried for Jacob once more. Layton held me, soothing me with calm touches. We didn't speak, there wasn't much to say, so we just lie together. Our limps our tangled, and our hearts beat as one. In that moment, I know one thing to be true; I love him, no matter what he's done.

Three weeks flew by, and my grieve was beginning to become bearable. I had stop crying for him, and stopped dreaming of him. Of course I still missed him – I wasn't sure that would ever truly go away – but he was no longer the centre of my thoughts.

Layton and I had quickly fallen back into our routines, and the pack was calm. It was the calm before a very ugly storm that was to come.

On the Thursday before Christmas Day, I decided I should go shopping for presents and Arlene volunteered to come with me. Layton was happy for me to leave the territory on one condition; I took Beta Strider with me.

I didn't mind that, as since the previous Full Moon we had remained friends – I had even begun to call him Antony. We weren't close, nowhere near it, but I knew what he did for me that night, and I wouldn't forget it.

Arlene and I pulled Antony around the shops in the mall, fighting off all the manic humans who were buying last minutes gifts in a rush. Christmas wasn't a massive holiday for Werewolves, but it didn't mean that we didn't celebrate it.

I brought presents for a few people in the pack that had been good to me, before I focused on Layton's present. I hadn't been sure what to get him; so I settled on a few items of clothing, a new laptop and a photo framed picture of us I had taken a week or so before.