Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The officers took Layton and I into separate rooms. Layton didn't like that, and started to shout and cuss. I held his hand, and willed him to calm down. He didn't want to at first, but eventually allowed for the officers to separate us – although he strongly showed his dislike of the situation.

"If they start asking intrusive questions, then--"

"I know what to say Layton" I whispered, cutting him off. He was holding me tight in his arms, a possessive hold to his broad chest. Layton half smiled – but only for a second before his furious look returned. He really didn't like that I was going into a room with two humans – males at that – without him.

"I was just going to say, if they start acting suspicious, don't answer and demand a lawyer". He raised his hand and cupped my cheek. "I don't want to leave you" he whispered thickly, before bending down and kissing my lips.

"Mrs Vetteriano, we really need to get started" a police officer interrupted us. Layton glowered, and pulled away from me.

"Sure" I said, and stepped towards him. Slowly, looking pained, Layton let go of me and I followed the officer. He took me to a dingy, dark, questioning room. There was a scratched wooden desk in the centre, with a one-way mirror on the left side of the room.

Two men sat behind the desk, one was Sergeant Harries and the other was a tall man with red hair – Detective Smith. Both had unreadable expression. They read a few things – for the benefit of the recording tape – before they began the questioning.

It started out with simple questions about how we found the body, did we know the girl, had we had wild animals on our land before. All the things I answered perfectly. Then, came the harder questions.

"So you and Mr Vetteriano own the land yes?" Sergeant Harries asked.

"Yes" I replied.

"And you have people that live on the land with you, is that correct?"

"Yes".

"Who are they too you? Family? If so, you have an awfully big family". His questions were unnerving me, I hated people prying. But, I took a big breath, and smiled slightly. I wanted to cry and hide, or run out the room and find Layton. But, I couldn't, I had to be the Alpha Female that Layton wanted me to be.

"They are friends, some family, but mostly friends" I smiled. "I'm sorry Officer, but I don't see what this has to do with the death of that poor girl".

"I'm just trying to get the full picture here, Mrs Vetteriano". He gave me an over exaggerated grin – it set me on edge, it was a sly smile, almost fox like. "Now, how did you and Mr Vetteriano meet?"

"We have mutual friends, we met at a gathering of sorts".

"Does your husband run a cult?" Detective Smith blurted out. I turned to him, eyes wide and shocked. I couldn't believe that he had outright asked me that. A lot of humans thought that the Wolf Pack communities were cults, but I hadn't expected for him to ask me straight out.

"What? Of course not" I gasped, surprised.

"We've been watching your husband for a while now. We've seen the way he is with you. How he is with his people, and with woman. Does he hurt you? Does Mr Vetteriano beat you, Gemini? Can I call you Gemini?"

"No. It's Mrs Vetteriano" I stated. I was angry that he could suggest that Layton could ever hurt me, or hurt woman. Layton wanted to protect woman, he treated woman with the up most respect.

"Alright, Mrs Vetteriano. Sergeant Harries, and I, have been watching your husband for the past year or so. And we've seen the secretive way, how the other people bowed down to him as if he is their leader. Not to mention, how the simple idea of you speaking to a male without him--"