Chapter Forty-Five

Cielo pushed Bobby's wheelchair up the ramp with Diana right next to her. Cielo never missed the looks that Diana would give her and Sam every once in a while. Ever since they were almost caught, Diana has been watching them like a hawk. It's like she knows something is happening again but doesn't know what to do about it. To be honest, Cielo doesn't know what to do about it either.

After that day, things were quiet. There were no more rendezvous, no more sneaking around, not really words exchanged between them. She knew she didn't regret doing it, but the was unsure of how he felt from how closed off he'd been.

Sam couldn't decipher what he was feeling. He wanted Cielo back, but not like that. Sam disregarded his thoughts about her, deciding that he'll think about it later, and thought back to the case they were on. "You know," he says, earning everyone's attention, "I still think I should play."

Old Dean waves his hand and shakes his head. "No, no, no." The group stops in the street, all looking at Sam. Cielo lets go of her father's wheelchair and crosses her arms instead. "You're not good enough. I'm better. Bobby's way better. We both lost."

"That's just 'cause you inflated your ego too much," Diana tells Dean sarcastically. "Bobby's my dad, I could easily play."

"Like Hell you will," Bobby snaps at her. Diana rolls her eyes and Bobby looks at Sam.

"So what? So I don't get a say in this anymore?"

"Sammy, when you get to be our age—"

Cielo scoffs loudly. "You're 30, Dean!"

"Look," Sam says, "I've watched you hustle plenty of poker—"

"Knowing the game is not enough, Sam," Bobby says. "It's not about playing the cards."

"It's about playing the other guy. I know that."

"Well, hooray for you. All I'm saying is, I played this guy. I know his style. I can take him."

Cielo speaks up again, looking down at her father. "No, Bobby. You don't have enough years."

"I got enough," Bobby replies.

Cielo looks at him stubbornly. "You'll die if you lose," she reminds.

"So what if I do, huh?" All four are shocked at his outburst. "What exactly am I living for, huh?! The damn apocalypse?!" Both Diana and Cielo are hurt. Their father is talking like his daughters aren't enough to live for. "Watching men die bloody while I sit in this chair, can't take a step to help 'em?"

"Bobby," Dean tries to say.

Cielo's father shakes his head. "No, no. It's the facts." Cielo bites back her own outburst. She wants to snap at him, curse him, because he was thinking about ending his life when they need him more than ever. He's her father, Diana's father, the girl's home. How could he talk like if they meant nothing? "I'm old... and broke down..." His voice starts to break and Cielo has to gulp and blink away her tears. "And I can't... I ain't a hunter no more. I'm useless. And if I wasn't such a coward, I'd have stuck a gun in my mouth day I got home from the hospital."

That does it for Cielo. She's seething in anger and her fists are gripping onto her jacket like if her life depended on it. "How could you think something like that?" She snaps at him. Bobby looks at her, realizing how much he hurt her as she shakes her head and spins on her heels, walking away from the group in anger. Diana follows, hurt at what her own father just said and jogs to catch up to Cielo.

Sam watched as Cielo and Diana stormed off in anger. He couldn't imagine what it was like to lose a father who actually cared about you or to hear the father who you looked up to say that he wanted to kill himself. Sam sighed, as much as he wanted to avoid the situation that him and Cielo were currently in, he couldn't let her lose the only parent she ever had. He looked down at him, his eyebrows furrowed and his lips tightly pressed together. "Bobby, you are not playing again," he says sternly. "I'm not... letting you do that. There's another way out of this. There's gotta be. And I'm gonna find it."