Chapter Forty-Nine

From her room, Cielo nibbled on the inside of her cheek as she looked out the window. Sam was sitting on the hood of the Impala with his legs propped up and a beer in his hand. She desperately wanted to know why he took Dean outside to talk to him and desperately wanted to know what was being said. Of course, she wasn't going to ask. It's none of her business, she knows that, but no matter how bad she wants to know, she wasn't going to bring it up.

"Dean?" Sam questions, watching as his brother popped open his bottle. "What's going on?"

Dean sighs before he speaks. "I'm in," he says.

Sam furrows his eyebrows. It sounded so unlike his brother, he just had to make sure. "In with...?"

"The whole 'up with Satan' thing," Dean clarifies. Sam sits up, staring at his brother, shocked at what he just heard. "I'm on board."

"You're gonna let me say yes?"

"No," Dean says, shaking his head slightly. "That's the thing. It's not on me to let you do anything. You're a grown— well, overgrown— man." Sam scoffs, shaking his head. "If this is what you want, I'll back your play."

Sam tilts his head for a second. "That's the last thing I thought you'd ever say." But now that Dean was on board with the plan, he had to find a way to tell Cielo.

Dean nods. "Might be." Sam gives a humorless chuckle, remaining quiet other than that. "I'm not gonna lie to you, though. It goes against every fiber I got. I mean, truth is... you know, watching out for you... it's kinda been my job, you know? But more than that, it's... it's kinda who I am. You're not a kid anymore, Sam. And I can't keep treating you like one. Maybe I gotta grow up a little, too.

"I don't know if we got a snowball's chance. But... but I do know that if anybody can do it... it's you."

That's just the thing. Sam didn't want to do it. He didn't want the fate of the world's existence in the palm of his hands. He wanted to be selfish and refuse to even be part of it. He wanted to take Cielo and run off to a different country and start from scratch. But, alas. That wasn't Sam. "Thank you," he says.

"If this is what you want... is this really what you want?"

Sam looks away from Dean's gaze and breathes deeply. "I let him out. I gotta put him back in."

"You should go talk to her," Dean says, looking down at his shoes. The ends of them were wearing off, he noticed. "It'll be better if she hears it from you."

Sam was already dreading having to tell her such a thing. Especially when their relationship was just getting back to normal and now he was gonna turn around and screw it up all over again and hurt her even more. This wasn't going to be a temporary thing. He was giving up his life... and giving up Cielo.

Sam nods slowly, looking down at the gravel. He can already imagine her tears and her arguments... but he had to do this. For her future and for the future of everyone else on the planet. It was the only way.

Sam doesn't say anything as he gets off the car and leaves his bottle. Dean watches his brother walk away and already feels the dread of Cielo's heartbreak. He can already imagine her personality change and how closed off she'll be after Sam does this. It'll kill him and everyone around her.

Sam takes his time walking back to the house. With each step he takes, he thinks about another approach right before he gets to the door. He quietly makes it through the house and passes Bobby. He gives a small, sad smile and walks past him, up the stairs and past the doors until he's at Cielo's.

He opens the door unannounced, taking Cielo by surprise, but she doesn't say anything about him being there. "What's going on?" She asks him. Sam closes the door behind him, giving them some sort of privacy.