Chapter 1

MASEO • POV

I stood outside of Reuben's bedroom door, my back to the wood, listening to him speak softly to his beloved pet cricket, although he should've been getting ready for bed. His soft murmurs tugged at my heart, and I rubbed a hand down my face, feeling a mixture of exhaustion, stress and defeat.

My head was pounding, temples throbbing with a tension headache I couldn't dispel, my body felt sore and heavy and every time I thought about my troubled boy,  my chest felt uncomfortably tight with foreboding.

I didn't know what to do with him anymore, didn't know how to make things easier for the both of us.

Facing up to that kind of failure, knowing that I probably wasn't enough for Reuben and all his demanding needs, was like a punch to the gut, a large pill hard to swallow, choking me up. I was trying my best, doing everything I could to guide him, to take care of him as his Dominant, as his Daddy so that he could start enjoying life again.

But it was like we took five steps backwards every one step forward.

Once I thought I'd gotten a handle on his violent tendencies, he was distracted and off stealing from the club or from other people. I put a stop to the theft and next he was fighting with members, lashing out with all this pent up anger.

It wasn't his fault, I knew that.

My boy had come from a rough background, a challenging past that was taking over his present and future. But knowing this didn't make it any easier to navigate. If anything, it made things harder for me to control. I couldn't get angry, couldn't discipline him, not really. I couldn't hurt him - was terrified of hurting him.

But Reuben's behaviour was isolating us from the rest of the community. We wouldn't be welcome back to Ignite if the other submissives continued to make complaints about him. Reuben already had a tough time making connections at college and with no family to fall back on, the last thing I wanted was for him to be ostracised by the one place he should've felt safe other than inside our own home.

Yet I didn't know where to go from here or how to correct Reuben's behaviour.

I was the definition of a Soft Dom through and through. I lived to spoil my boy, taking care of every need, big or small. I enjoyed packing his lunches for college, making sure he kept to a healthy, energising diet for his studies. I loved helping him with his homework, buying him gifts to keep him going, cooking him dinners and taking him out on spontaneous trips.

More than that, I adored our long talks, I loved being that pillar of support for him, that safe person he could come to and trust with his secrets, with his concerns. When he came to me for help and believed that Daddy could fix things for him, that was what I really cherished about our relationship.

It was my calling. I was empathetic, more so than others, and nurturing the happiness of my boy, made me feel so freaking good, nothing could compare.

This new, escalating tension between us, was shattering my heart bit by bit, depriving me of those euphoric feelings I usually felt while taking care of Reuben. It fucking sucked, for both of us and I was running out of options on how to resolve this.

But I wasn't giving up, I knew that least.

I couldn't. I couldn't abandon my boy. Not when he needed me. Not when it meant he'd have no one left.

Straightening up, I took a deep breath, before knocking on Reuben's bedroom door.

We slept together most nights, but I'd always made it clear that while we were a couple, it was important we both had our own spaces alongside our shared spaces. I had my office, which was off limits to my boy, not only because it housed important work documents, but because it was 'Daddy's space' to work and sometimes to play.