Author's Note

Hello peeps! Exciting news! I've started writing the next book in the series, which I've named 'Their Boy Blossomed' after much discussion and help from my brainstorm buddy coolingsun ☺️👀

The name was chosen to show a growth in Reu, as he literally blooms this next book as a result of finally having what he needs from two dominants who love him very much!

Here's the cover!!! 💚

I'm going to be offering two chapters ahead early access of the book on my Patreon! The Prologue and Chapter One have already been published over there! Thanks to everyone already reading on the platform 🫶🏾

patreon.com/lavenderloverxox

After I've written Chapter Two, I will then publish 'Their Boy Blossomed' on Wattpad and start uploading the chapters here! It's gonna be fun!  ☺️

Here is a snippet of the Prologue for you to enjoy in the meantime 👀

~ PROLOGUE ~

MASEO • POV

"Ladies and gentlemen, drag queens, strippers, non-binary bugs and boos all over the world, I'd like to thank you all for joining us this afternoon as we mourn the death of our beloved cricket, Gavin Felipe Hernandez Sergio Brett Hopper, the twelfth."

Our backyard was set up like a gothic church garden, the dining table chairs from inside the house, set out on the lawn in rows of two; four on the left, four on the right. The narrow aisle created down the centre was littered with black rose petals and burning candles - the battery powered kind for safety, of course.

For added dramatic effect, blinking fairy lights hung from the surrounding trees, creating a magical atmosphere, like twinkling stars flashing all around us. Reuben's favourite song from the Twilight Movies soundtrack, 'Speak Up' by POP ETC, was playing at a low volume on repeat in the background. Though the song could barely be heard over Reuben's heaving sniffles and howling sobs.

I was standing over the tiniest coffin ever made, which was open on the foldable picnic table in front of me, covered by a sheer, lace black veil, similar to the one Reuben was wearing over his face like a scorned widow. My boy was curled up in Nolan's lap, clutching a bouquet of black-painted lilies for dear life.

Beside them both, Eva was curled up on a chair, tail flicking lazily as she snoozed through the funeral, uninterested in all the noise and commotion. The other chairs surrounding them were empty, though I addressed the garden as though they were bustling full of people, per Reuben's request.

We had invited Kaleb and Matt, but the couple were busy getting ready for the adoption of their baby and couldn't spare the time to be here for Reu's deceased cricket, or the outlandish ceremony we threw every few months during the year.

Honestly, the whole funeral was for nobody else's satisfaction, but Reuben's. When I'd explained the ritual of burying and initiating a new Mister Hopper for the boy, every three-or-so months, Nolan had looked at me as though I had gone insane. I had gone insane, because I'd do anything for Reuben, including leading the funeral of his dead cricket.

He'd been on board with the significant, seasonal event, simply because neither of us had been willing to put up with an explosive Reuben Tantrum over his dead pet. But even then, Nolan had scoffed. He didn't understand it, heck I didn't understand it, but we were here and we were doing this for Reuben, regardless of how seemingly superficial and pointless it all was.

It was the moment when Reueben had emerged through the backdoor at noon, dressed head to toe in black clothing, with a mourning veil covering his face, his black-painted bouquet of lilies and a chequered handkerchief that had cracked through Nolan's calm composure.

I watched the dominant lean over and cough into one of our hedges to smother his laughter. I'd had to look up at the sky to find calm, refusing to catch on to his contagious snickers. I would not break.

Now, Nolan was cradling Reuben like a baby, letting him sniffle and sob all over his large body as he listened diligently to the sermon I tried to deliver as solemnly as possible in solidarity with Reuben's wishes. We used the same readings every three months, with only some minor changes, so I knew the ceremony by heart now.

"Mister Hopper the Twelth, was a valued member of the Brett-Pascal, now Brett-Pascal-Steele, household. His beautiful smile, which could light up a room, will forever be remembered. His unique chirps will always be a memory within our home, reminding us of his presence every day. We will miss him dearly."

I cleared my throat patiently, lifting the dark veil off Mister Hopper's casket. Kaleb had generously carved it out of wood for us and it was no bigger than the length of my pinkie finger. I was careful as I uncovered the lifeless cricket, resting on a tiny pillow made of cotton wool from the bathroom.

Reuben let out a particularly harrowing cry, causing Nolan to wince and Eva to hiss irritably in her sleep...

~•~

Yes Reu is fully aware when his cricket dies, no Maseo hasn't secretly been replacing them 🤣 Mister Hopper has a funeral and initiation ceremony haha! Read the rest on Patreon or when the book is published!!! ☺️

See you later bee scouts! 🐝

~•~