Chapter 6

NOLAN • POV

Taking time off work to help Matthew out with his club was probably one of the best decisions I could've made for myself, considering how ridiculously busy and high-stress my life had been before I'd finally accepted his offer.

I'd been working fifty hours a week at the veterinary clinic back home, and those hours didn't even include the work I was doing at my local BDSM club giving private lessons, public tutorials and equipment consultations, while partaking in pleasure for myself of course.

Though that side of my life was a passion I pursued and not a job, so I could never complain about putting in those extra hours, no matter how exhausted I was at the end of every night.

Now, it was only Matt's club that had my full attention in the evenings and I could spend my days exploring the town, stocking up on souvenirs for home, visiting old friends and of course, taking care of my demanding little princess, Evangeline, or Eva as I called her most of the time.

Evangeline. Eva. Princess. Cat. Damn cat. So on and so forth.

The hairless sphynx cat with her scarred, mostly bald grey-pink skin covered in the occasional struggling patch of scraggly white fluff, and her one bright green eye, yawned loudly, rolling over and baring her stomach lazily for scratches.

Although she looked as though she'd used up all nine of her lives, been dragged through a lawn mower and been jumped by a bunch of alley cats, she really was the sweetest little gremlin in the world. Albeit the ugliest one.

Usually I declined adopting the strays or the sick, abandoned animals who came into our rescue veterinary clinic. If I was weak and caved in to taking one helpless animal home, I'd feel guilty and end up bringing them all home - was what I'd told myself.

Attachment was dangerous and so, I'd successfully restrained myself for years.

But Evangaline was special. She'd looked like a drowned rat the night a citizen had brought her in after spotting her cowering inside a drain on the edge of a highway, so pitiful and broken. After a few months with no adoption prospects, I'd finally caved. She'd stolen my heart with her one beady and extremely judgemental green eye, coarse, long whiskers and scared-bitten ears.

The cat whined loudly and I ran my fingers over her stomach, scratching lightly back and forth, just as my phone began buzzing loudly, lost beneath the white sheets of the king sized bed I was sprawled across, having only woken up an hour or so ago.

I fished around for it, pulling it out and grabbing my glasses off the bedside table.

I couldn't see shit without them or the contact lenses I usually wore throughout the day.

A message from Matt lit up the screen.

Matt: Maseo called. He's agreed to meet with you and discuss a training plan for Reuben. If you're still up for the task, I'll pass on your number and he'll call to arrange a meeting. Thanks for doing this buddy. Appreciate it.

I sat up straighter, propping myself up on my elbows, the post-sleep laziness replaced with anticipation and excitement at the mere mention of Maseo's agreement to Matt's terms of the couple's return to Ignite.

Suddenly, all my attention was on the phone as I thought about Maseo and his troubled boy. I hadn't been able to stop thinking about them both since last night at the club. I felt drawn to them in ways no other couple reaching out for my help had ever caught my attention before.

That should have been concerning, yet right then, I couldn't find it in me to care.

Maseo's stark handsome features with his dark brown skin and captivating olive green eyes. Reuben's rugged, mischievous charm and sharp wit. The way he'd fallen to his knees so beautifully before me on the street pavement outside of the club, wanting to be tamed, yet battling against his own rebellious mind.