⚘ 𝒂 𝒘𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂 𝒘𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔

Nervous: that was the best word to describe how Madeline was feeling right now, as she stood in Callie and Arizona's bedroom, in-front of the full length mirror; today was her first official day of school, and her first time wearing her newly hemmed uniform.

Surprisingly, it was Owen who had hemmed her skirt, it was down to her toes before and he'd gotten it to just above her knees, as he said that he'd sewn all sorts of makeshift clothes together during his time in Iraq.

Yet she still felt nervous, and feeling a little stupid as her blazer was a few sizes too big for her because her dad said 'there was no point buying a new blazer every year and that she'd just grow into it.' For now though, she looked and felt incredibly small.

"Come on, Maddie! Let's see!" Callie's excited voice rang through the door alongside a chorus of knocks, and Madeline felt like her heart was beating a million times a minute.

But she did it, with a shaky hand and wobbly knees, she opened the door, instantly hunched her shoulders to her body and twisted her fingers together.

Almost immediately, all the adults in the room gasped and started saying how sweet and cute she looked, with Mark demanding she stay still so he could get a photo of her before she was allowed to sit down besides him and eat her breakfast.

After about a minute of the spotlight being on Maddie, where she found comfort in Mark's side and picked at the grapes on her plate, feeling much too nauseous to eat a whole slice of toast, they resumed their previous conversation. Largely due to the fact that Cristina had barged in, realised that her breakfast had been put on hold as they all awed at Madeline and scoffed,

"What's so special about a kid in a stupid skirt, anyway? Oh boo hoo, she has to go to school- Whatever. Can we continue breakfast... Please?"

Arizona and Callie shared a look before the blonde exclaimed, "I mean it's still crazy, I knew Wallace's parents were wealthy, but not 25 million dollars wealthy."

Confused, Madeline looked to Mark who quickly explained, "Dying kid, she made him live a little longer, rich parents are giving her 25 million dollars."

"Thats- That's libraries-named-after-you money," She continued, "Or save babies in Africa kind of money and has dinner at the white house regularly kind of money!"

"People don't give me that kind of money." Mark moped, picking up a newspaper from the coffee table, whilst Lexie patted his shoulder sympathetically, "You have an unfair advantage, you work with children."

Arizona scoffed as Callie began to read out breakfast orders, "Oatmeal, side of fruit, wheat toast, hold the butter." At that exact moment, Owen appeared, taking the plate and thanking her before noticing Madeline on the couch,

"Oh, hey! How's the skirt? Give it a twirl." He grinned, and Madeline's face immediately flushed as she tried to hide herself in Mark's chest, but to her dismay, he agreed with Owen and sat up, leaning his arm above them for her to twirl underneath,

"Yeah go on kid, give it a spin." She looked to Lexie for support, who just gestured for her to spin, so she did receiving cheers from the other people in the room, "Just like a princess." Mark beamed at her whilst she sulked besides him, embarrassed with all the attention back on her.

"That money is going to make such a difference for so many patients it's really amazing," Callie told Arizona, causing the blonde to let out a soft grin, that was until Mark spoke again, and his words seemingly irritated her,

"Maybe i should start doing more cleft palates kids, everyone's a sucker for those."

"What's a cleft palate kid?" Madeline asked whist Callie dished out Cristina's breakfast order, receiving a disgruntled 'Finally' in response.