𖤣 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒔𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈

When you think of November, you think of the crisp, orange Fall leaves that scatter on the pavements, the sweet chill in the air that's not quite cold, but not exactly warm either.

But not in Seattle. In Seattle, the seasons didn't matter, all that mattered was the rain, and on Thanksgiving morning, it rained like hell.

"Owen, are we done yet? Madeline complained, she was drenched from head to toe, her clothes were now apart of her and her hair kept getting stuck in her eyes, "You know, in the MLB, they stop playing when it rains like this."

If he had to admit it, he was getting sick of the weather too, but he'd been through worse so he shook his head and threw another ball for the girl to catch, "When you said you wanted practise every Monday and Thursday morning, that means we practise, no matter what the weather."

"But-" She stumbled a little as she caught the ball before instantly throwing it back to him, "But what if I get hypothermia or something?"

"Then you're lucky that you're training with the head of Trauma then, aren't you?" He replied, a grin on his face as they continued to pass the ball back and forth, racing around the pitch to create harder catches.

"This is crazy," She spluttered, slightly out of breath and having to squint not to get blinded by the rain, "You're totally crazy."

"Yeah well- Crazy's gonna get you on that team, when are the tryouts again?"

"The Thursday after we get back from break." She responded, trying to focus on the game and their conversation, not the cold rain biting at the exposed skin on her face.

"You'll be ready by then, don't worry Scout, you're making this team." In any other circumstance, she would've grinned at the affection nickname Owen had coined for her in the past few weeks.

But now, now she just had to practise. A few minutes later, Owen was starting to get concerned, the rain hadn't let out and he'd thrown a completely catchable ball at the girl and she wasn't even close,

"Hey, you okay? You need a break?" He yelled and she shook her head, ball in hand,

"No m'fine, keep going." She threw the ball back, but it was sloppy and didn't quite reach his arms, so now he was starting to panic a little,

"Are you sure? I know what I said earlier but, we should call it a day, i'll take you to that cafe you like before we go to the hospital, the one Lexie takes you to."

But she was adamant in continuing, which is when Owen stopped and really squinted at her, "Hey Scout, you're shaking."

"I'm not," She denied, arms crossed over her chest, "I told you I'm fine, throw the ball back."

Yet he wasn't convinced, so he left the ball where it was and jogged upto the girl, finding her shivering on the spot, and whilst her skin was light normally, it was deathly pale, his suspicions were even further confirmed when he placed his hand on her forehead and had to withdraw it from the icy pain that shot through his fingers,

"Alright, come on, you're freezing let's get you inside." He wrapped his arm around her, dragging her closer to his chest and hoping at least some of his body heat would transfer to her, but she didn't want to move,

"No, Owen, i'm serious, I can do this, okay? Just-"

"-Maddie." He cut her off and she was stunned at his harsh, declarative tone, "You've got mild Hypothermia."

She let out a short laugh, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out earlier, I was just kidding about the Hypothermia-"

"-I'm not." As she looked into his eyes and saw the dead seriousness in them, she felt panic begin to rise through her and he winced, "Don't panic alright just, can you run?"