𖥧 𝒄𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔 𝒆𝒗𝒆

Christmas Eve, 2008.

The Katayama annual Christmas party was in full swing, there was an attempt at music in the background, but it couldn't be heard over Akio and Josephine's riveting tales about finance and board meetings.

In attendance was the usual crowd, middle aged to elderly business associates and their wealthy wives with glasses of wine in hand as they laughed and grinned over how they scammed innocent people in the weeks prior or beat each-other at golf.

And as per usual, Madeline was silent. Sat in the corner of the room by herself, her mother glancing a watchful eye at her every once in a while to make sure she hadn't dared move a muscle. However, she was absolutely dying to go to the toilet, but she'd been warned that if she made any disturbance, no matter how small, there would be consequences.

At this point, Madeline was debating how bad the consequences actually could've been, flashbacks running through her head of the vile things her mother or grandparents had screamed at her through the years.

But she figured getting up to go to the toilet was a lot worse than if she'd pee'd herself would be. As she crept through the kitchen, which was void of any decorations or joy she thought she had done it, managed to sneak past her family and out to-

"Madeline!" She felt the piercing claws puncturing her arm before she heard her mothers furious hiss.

Fear exploded in her like the rapid beat of a drum, every beat just increasing her heart and making her feel like she was going to be sick as she turned around to face her mother.

Where Madeline's eyes were wide and timid, Erika's were venomous slits, glaring at the girl's, "What on earth do you think you're doing? Do-"

"-I'm sorry, mother, I-" She squirmed as the tight grip on her arm only increased, and she had no doubt her mothers nails had begun to draw blood,

"How dare you interrupt me?!" She fumed, making sure her voice was no louder than a whisper as to not draw attention to the situation, "Mind your manners, Madeline."

"I-I'm sorry-"

"-Stop stuttering! Did I raise you to be an incompetent weasel?" When Madeline didn't answer she continued, "Hmm?... Answer when you are spoken to!"

"No, you didn't mother, i'm sorry."

Madeline hoped that would be the last of it, that her mother would let go and she'd be free to go to the bathroom, but of course, it wasn't.

"Explain to me why you thought it was acceptable to try and ruin your grandparents Christmas party." Madeline knew she was in deep, deep trouble, and that there was nothing she could say to keep her out of it, but she had to at least try, after all she couldn't leave her mother without an answer,

"I-I wasn't trying to, I was just-"

Smack.

Her mother continued to berate her, but Madeline couldn't quite hear what she was saying, the poignant sting on her cheek and the way she was trying not to cry completely overriding any words being said to her. Because her mother had just hit her for the first time, and during Christmas, but what Madeline didn't know was that the hit certainly wasn't going to be the last.