Clowning Around

In some deep, dark, withering part of his soul, Tim felt sorry for Tommy. But the feeling was a minor inconvenience—like a fly bumping into an elephant—so it was quickly dismissed in favor of focusing on more important things. Things like getting Tommy's clown makeup just right.

"Again, why do I have to be a clown?" Tommy asked, looking like he was regretting every single one of the life choices that led him to that moment. Tim could relate.

"Because no one ever suspects a clown," Lina piped in, finishing the last touches on the bright blue wig she'd placed on Tommy's head.

"I thought everyone suspected clowns," Tim wondered aloud, only to receive a glare from Lina.

"But why do I have to be the clown? Why not one of you?"

"We have seniority." Tim would forever be amazed at the bullshit Lina could pull out when necessary. "Besides, Penny knows us too well. She'd recognize us in a second."

That was closer to the truth, but honestly, they were just too lazy and still had enough of their dignity left to refuse to dress up. Besides, Tommy was a conveniently pliable little minion who had to commit to their every demand. Sometimes, Tim could really understand why villains all had lackeys.

He stuck on a bright red nose to Tommy's face and stepped back along with Lina to admire their handiwork.

"Well, he's not nightmare inducing, so I think we did pretty well," Lina said

"And isn't that the best any clown can hope for?" Lina nodded at that. Tommy still looked like he wanted to cry. As was quickly becoming a habit, his misery went ignored.

"Right, so here's the plan," Lina began without so much as a pitying glance Tommy's way. "According to our intel—"

"You mean Penny gushing about her plans?"

"Penny and her date will meet at the park and then go get some lunch," Lina said, ignoring Tim. "The cafe is in the park within view of where Tommy will be stationed. Tommy, you just keep playing the part of a clown."

"Um, how do I do that?" Tommy asked, his hand rising as if he were a nervous child trying to ask a question in class.

"I don't know, just do clown stuff. Juggle, make balloon animals, terrify small children."

Tim didn't think that was an accurate description of what a clown should be, but he supposed it was close enough. Even if Tommy looked more uncertain about his role in their scheme.

"But I don't know how to juggle," Tommy said, brow furrowing and lips twisting into a frown that made him look like a bad painting of a sad clown.

"Then improvise."

Tim suddenly had a series of flashbacks to all the times Lina had told him to improvise the most ridiculous things. Like being a superhero, for example. He couldn't say he didn't sympathize with Tommy.