11. How It's Done

Juniper stared out the frosted window of the sandwich shop, her chin cradled in her palm

Juniper stared out the frosted window of the sandwich shop, her chin cradled in her palm. The clouds hung below the tops of the Crystal Peaks, a dense grey ceiling as low as her mood.

She wondered if Summer was looking up at the same view.

It had been almost a week since they'd blown up at each other. A week since Juniper had said out loud all the ugliest thoughts that had ever crossed her mind. A week since Summer had made her feelings about Juniper perfectly clear.

God, that woman could be mean when she tried. And Juniper deserved at least half of it.

"Are you listening to me?"

Across from her, Holly had their notebook, tablet, and phone out, and had apparently been trying to carry on a conversation with her at the same time. Something about finances. Or a hostile takeover. Or maybe ordering cupcakes to celebrate a birthday. They'd only eaten half of their reuben sandwich. Then again, Juniper had barely picked at her tofu bowl.

"Not really," she admitted.

Holly made an impatient sound. "Here." They put an envelope on the table.

"What's this?"

"The spa package. You won the raffle. From the fundraiser?"

"Oh. Right. Cool." Juniper had forgotten about the raffle. Everything that had happened after had wiped it completely from her mind.

The envelope was a heavy, creamy paper, and in a swirly font across the front it read Crystal Peaks Nordic Spa. The card inside slipped out smooth as butter. One couple's package. A full day of romantic relaxation for two.

Exactly what Juniper needed. Another reminder of how long it had been since a woman had looked at her for more than five seconds. Other than Summer, of course, and, well.

There weren't any romantic spa days in Juniper's future.

"I didn't know this was a couple's package." She pushed the card and envelope across the table. "Here. You take it. Maybe a nice date at the spa will help smooth things over with Ava."

Holly's brows knitted. "Why do you think things with Ava need smoothing?"

"Because I have ears?" Juniper tapped the card. "Look, the whole interview thing was my fault. I don't want it to cause problems in your relationship. Let me make it up to you."

"No." Holly put their palm on the envelope and slid it firmly back onto Juniper's side. "Keep it. The couple's thing is just branding. Take Carla. Or Summer. Maybe a day of pampering will help you pull out of this mood you're in."

"I'm not in a mood."

"Have you left your bed before noon this week?"

"I'm having lunch with you, aren't I?"