20. Backseat Confessional

Summer propped her elbow in the window frame and rested her chin on her palm to study Juniper across the car

Summer propped her elbow in the window frame and rested her chin on her palm to study Juniper across the car. She didn't wear her hair down very often, but tonight all those golden curls hung loose and tempting. They were a little squashed on top from the toque she'd tossed into the back seat, but that just made Summer want to run her hands through them to fluff them up.

She wanted to press her fingers to the corners of that perfect mouth, too. Juniper made a very pretty sad girl, but Summer still wished she knew how to make her happy.

Still buzzing from that race that had one hundred percent felt like foreplay, she'd asked Juniper where she used to take her girlfriends in high school. Juniper had said she knew a place, but she'd been quiet on the drive, her eyes fixed on the road. The town was mostly behind them now. The headlights reflected off road paint and snow in the ditches, pitch-black forest on either side broken only by the lights of an occasional house.

"You're quiet," Summer said.

Juniper glanced at her, eyes troubled. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes. I wanted to drag you away and tear all your clothes off the minute we finished that race."

Juniper laughed. "Yeah? That did it for you?"

"I love it when you challenge me," Summer admitted. "And watching Bryn do all those pushups felt pretty good, too. You know that cover she did for Fit Woman was supposed to be mine?"

"You mean where she posed in that tiny bikini?" Juniper whistled. "You would've looked so hot in that. Fuck. That's devastating."

Summer hid her smile in her fist. "Are you sure about this? It's okay if you've changed your mind."

"Summer, if you knew how much time I spend thinking about fucking you..."

If it was half as much as Summer thought about Juniper, she would be surprised.

Juniper rubbed her knuckles against her jaw. "It's just- I, uh. I heard the end of your talk with Bryn. When she was telling you to be careful."

"Oh."

Summer didn't want to admit that Bryn had got under her skin. She hadn't forgotten why she and Juniper didn't get along for so many years. But she also knew that Bryn was wrong about Juniper being selfish. And her motivations were more than a little questionable.

"Look, I-" Juniper sighed heavily. "I'm a fucking mess. You obviously know that by now. Once we're racing again- You're better than me. I know that. I can't promise it won't be a problem. But I'm trying. I promise I am."

Summer wanted to believe her, but Juniper didn't have a great track record with her promises. Rolling her bottom lip between her teeth, she looked out the window. "Is that really why you broke up? Because she won a medal and you didn't?"

"It wasn't- That was just sort of the final nail? That year was... I had a lot of shit going on. It's not an excuse, but I was in a really bad place. Yeah, we did have a fight about it. I was being an asshole. But it wasn't our first big fight. And I would've got over myself. I did get over myself. She just- She didn't give me the time."