Chapter 5: The High Evolutionary

"This is the perfect society?" Nebula asked as they drive through the town and see a few homeless people, some people doing drug deals and some one beating up someone with a bat.

Eventually, they make it to the giant red pyramid and come upon two guards that were a crossbreed between farm animals cyborgs. "Here we go." Peter whispers to them and he stops the car, roughly, and they get out of the car. "We're here to see..." Peter started to say when one of the cyborg guards speaks. "The High Evolutionary is expecting you." He said. "Which mean sit is a trap." Nebula mutters. "It's a face-off." Peter corrected.

"She stays here." One of the cyborgs said, pointing at Nebula. "Why?" Nebula asked him. "Policy against weaponry, and your arm is a gun." The guard said and the one rat looked like a pig scans Peter, (y/n) and Meredith. "They're clean." She said and the first guard nods. "Let's go." He said as he turns and starts to walk.

"Hey." Nebula said as she turns her head to Peter and (y/n), obviously she didn't like this plan. "It'll be okay." Peter assures her and he, (y/n), Meredith and Groot follow the guard.

He then leads them inside of the building and upstairs to a large room where the High Evolutionary was standing on a desk, working on something. Peter and (y/n) glare at him as he raises a finger to them as he continues to type on his keyboard.

Meredith swings her arms to the side, obviously getting bored, as (y/n) folds her arms across her chest and Peter clenches his jaw then looks around to see the guy they were looking for, Theel. "You!" Peter shout and everyone looks at him as Meredith, (y/n) and Groot turn to see who Peter was looking at.

"Hey, yeah, you!" Peter said as they walk up to Theel, who was startled. "I take it the passkey, it's in that thing on your head." Peter said, aggressively, and Theel fidgets around. "I would advice against aggression." The High Evolutionary said as he stands up and Peter and (y/n) turn to him. "Oh. Got time for us now?" (Y/n) asked him, sarcastically.

"Your friend once took advantage. I learn my lessons." High Evolutionary said as he walks away from his desk and starts to walk towards the four. "I aim some small part of my mental capacity back in my own direction, and now, gravity itself serves my whims." He said as one of his people gives War-Pig an order and she leaves, which catches Nebula's attention.

"You must find Counter-Earth familiar." High Evolutionary said. "Counter-Earth?" Peter and (y/n) said, in unison. "I visited your planet many years ago." High Evolutionary said. "Earth hasn't been our planet in a long time." Peter said.

"Your people had wonderful spirit." The High Evolutionary said, smiling at them, as Peter hums at this. "The art and music and literature were some of the finest in the universe. Earth would be a fabulous place, we're it not for the ignorance and bigotry." High Evolutionary said as he walks to the window. "Okay." (Y/n) said with sarcasm.

"It inspired me to create Counter-Earth." High Evolutionary said as he starts to pace around. "We don't care." Peter said, exasperated. "All of the good and none of the bad." High Evolutionary said. "We don't need another speech by some impotent whackjob whose mother didn't love him rationalizing why he needs to conquer the universe." (Y/n) said, annoyed, as the High Evolutionary stops pacing then takes a few steps forward.

"I'm not trying to conquer the universe. I'm perfecting it." He said. "We just want the passkey." Peter tells him, firmly. "Then bring me 89P13." The High Evolutionary said. "I am Groot." Groot said, which makes High Evolutionary look at him. "He says, Suck my..." Meredith started to translate, angril, but the High Evolutionary talks over her.

"Why are you so angry?" High Evolutionary asked, confused. "Because we know what you did to our friend." (Y/n) growls. "Anything I've done, I've done for the betterment of the universe." High Evolutionary said as he takes a step forward towards (y/n) but Peter steps in front of her, protectively. "Newsflash, Einstein. Better universes generally don't include a bunch of octopuses selling meth to guys with cockroach heads." Peter sneered.

"They do not." High Evolutionary said, reluctantly, then he turns and starts to walk in another direction. "Which is why, as I have done many times before, I'm going to have to raze it all and start again." He said as he walks back over to the window, his back facing the four Guardians. "What?" Peter and (y/n) said, shocked.

"We're in possession of the subject." One of the assistants said then there was a loud rumbling and the whole building started to shake. And suddenly the building started to rise up and fly into the sky.

"I am Groot?" Groot asked Peter, who turns to his wife and she nods at him. "Kill 'em all." Peter growls and they start to charge at them but then High Evolutionary raises his ahdn and they were blown back by some force and the four of them writhe in pain.

"It's amusing, really." Theel laughs as the four Guardians sit up and see that Counter-Earth was starting to explode. "How stupid are you, hmm? It was so obviously a trap." Theel said. "It's not a trap. It's a face-off." (Y/n) said then she turns to Groot. "Now kill them all." She ordered and Groot opens up his chest and pulls out an orb.

"What do you have in your hand?" Theel asked as he tries to grab Groot's arm but he yanks out of his grip and throws the orb at the crowd as it beeps. "Grenade!" One guy shouts and they dive out of the way and it explodes, causing destruction as several wall panels fell over any exits and dust filled the air.

Groot makes several arms holding guns then used a few extra roots to hand Peter, (y/n) and Meredith their blasters and they started to kill the guards and doctors. A few tried to fire back but Groot was able to shield them and the four of them kept firing.

Meredith pushed a button on her wrist and her little Droid, Gizmo, flies out of her wrist armor. "Gizmo, fire!" Meredith said and the little Droid flies over and kills any of the people they missed. "I am Groot!" Groot shouts as they kept firing their guns until they were all dead, expect for the one...Theel. 

He cowers down and Gizmo flies towards him and Peter and (y/n) aim their blasters at him. "No! Don't! Don't! No, no, no! No, please! Please, spare me! Please, spare me, please." Theel pleads as he sits up and Peter and (y/n) lower their blasters. Theel gasps then starts to stand up. 

"Thank you, thank you, thank..." he said. "That'd be premature." Peter tells him. "Huh?" Theel said and Peter runs at him, tackles him and the two of them fall out of the ship. (Y/n) runs and jumps out of the ship, activating her jet boots and Meredith and Groot look down just as a wall of debris moves and the High Evolutionary walks through.

Meredith runs out the window and jumps and taps on her wrist armor and Gizmo flies towards her and grabs her as Groot runs and jumps. "You'll kill us both!" Theel screamed at Peter. "Not both." Peter said and he spins them around where Theel was facing the surface below.

Groot flies towards Peter, grabs him and he sprouts wings and they fly towards the ground. 

They make it closer to the surface until they hit the ground and Peter slammed Theel down on the ground a couple of times, killing him, as Groot glides them across to a Riverbend. They land down on the ground as Peter glares down at the dead body of Theel and stands up just as Groot does.

"Groot." Peter said and Groot pulls out a knife and hands it to Peter. At that moment, (y/n) and Meredith land nearby and they run over to them. "Got it?" (Y/n) asked as she comes up to Peter. "Not yet." He said and he digs the knife into the cybernetic and goes to pull out.

Suddenly, a loud crash sounds out and they look up to see the Bowie crashing and sliding towards them. "Whoever's in the cockpit, activate the brake." (Y/n) said. "The steering mechanism is stuck." Gamora's voice replied. "Well, pull harder!" Peter shouts and he digs into the guy's head again and was able to pull the cyber part out. 

"Got it!" He shouts. "Okay, go, go!" (Y/n) said and her, Meredith, Peter and Groot run as the Bowie gets closer and Gamora pulls the steering harder.

It slides across the grassy ground as the four Guardians keep running until they trip over themselves. The ship slides over them and stops before it could crush them and everyone sighs with relief. "Going back to Earth, suddenly, doesn't sound like a bad idea, does it?" (Y/n) asked Peter, sarcastically, and he scoffs at this and she chuckles.