Chapter 6: Saving Rocket

Peter steers the Bowie out of Counter-Earth, as the entire planet implodes, and they make it to space. "What kind of monster slaughters a civilization?" Gamora asked as Peter gets up from his chair then he, (y/n) and Meredith run to Med-Bay. "Where are Mantis and Drax?" (Y/n) asked Gamora. "I don't know!" She shouts as they get to Med-Bay, where Groot was staying by Rocket's side and Peter hands Gamora the cyber part and she and (y/n) get to work to hook it up to the Med-Bay.

"Okay. Here we go." Peter whispers, softly, as he inserts wires into Rocket and the machine trills to life. "Okay. Alright, Rocket." Peter said then (y/n) turns to Gamora. "Go." She said and Gamora starts the machine and it starts to transfer the passkey into Rocket.

"Okay, okay, alright, here we go." Peter said as Gamora looks at the scans. "This isn't right." She said as she reads it over. "What?" Meredith whispered. "No, no, no, it's good. It's gonna work. It's working." Peter said, a bit desperately. "It needs to be faster." Gamora said. "Faster?" (Y/n) said, confused, and at that moment Rocket gasps and his body jerks before it goes still.

"No, no, no!" (Y/n) said and Peter starts to do CPR on Rocket. "Come on!" Peter pleads. "Quill." Gamora said, sympathetically, and Meredith begins to cover her mouth and cry. "No! No!" Peter wails as tears formed in Groot's eyes. "Rocket, no!" (Y/n) mutters, tearfully, and Peter starts to unhook the wires out of Rocket.

"Quill." Gamora said. "I'm not gonna lose him." Peter said. "He's gone!" Gamora tells him. "We're not letting him go!" Peter shouted and he continues to do CPR on him and Meredith goes to hug her mother, crying.

Finally, Rocket begins to gasp, heavily, and starts to cough. Everyone looks towards the machine. "The passkey's going through!" (Y/n) said as Gamora grabs a medpak, opens it and places it over Rocket's chest, (y/n) pushes the button as Rocket gasps laboriously.

Peter takes the mask off of Rocket and he gasps and coughs a bit again then looks up at Peter. "Quill?" He said, weakly, as he sits up. Peter and (y/n) smile as Meredith laughs, relieved, then her, Peter, (y/n) and Groot all hug Rocket while Gamora gives a small smile to this moment.

"Where's Nebula?" Rocket asked and everyone pulls out of the embrace and Peter and (y/n) share a look. "Sh...she's, uh..." (y/n) stammers as Rocket leans back. "Because her code is in the comm behind you." Rocket said and everyone turns to see he is right.

"What?" Peter whispers as (y/n) presses her comm. "Nebula?" She said, confused. "Where are you?" Nebula asked. "Oh, thank God!" (Y/n) said, relieved. "We're here to get you out of here." Nebula said. "Out of where?" (Y/n) she'd her. "The High Evolutionary's ship." Nebula shouted. "No, we got off the ship." (Y/n) replied. "You what?!" Nebula ecclaimed.

"Wait, where are you?" (Y/n) asked her. "On the ship!" Nebula shouts. "On the ship?" (Y/n) questioned, surprised. "I didn't lie." Nebula replied. "Why are you on the ship?" Peter asked her. "To save you guys, obviously." Nebula replied. "No, we told you to go back. You gotta know by now I always figure out an incredibly clever way to get out of a fix." Peter shouts and (y/n) rolls her eyes.

"Tell them I said hi!" Drax's voice said. "Really?" Nebula asked. "Tell them we're here to save them." Drax said. "Pay attention or play with the kids. One or the other!" Nebula shouted. "Play with the kids?" Gamora said, confused.

"How did you get out?" Mantis asked. "That's not really important." (Y/n) said and Groot leans in. "I am Groot." Groot replied. "Jumping a thousand feet to your death without  parachute is a clever way of getting out of a fix?" Mantis asked and Peter sighs. "I had my boots." (Y/n) said. "And I had Gizmo." Meredith said as the little Droid floats next to her. "You're all just makin' up stuff that he's saying, right?" Gamora said, as she gestures to Groot.

"The important thing is we're all okay." Rocket said and there was silence at the other end. "Rocket?" Nebula asked, shakily, and (y/n) and Peter look over at him. "Yeah, he's here. And he's okay." (Y/n) said and they could hear Nebula starting to cry.

"Rocket, we love you very much and we're happy you're alive." Mantis said. "Well, that makes you the idiots, then." Rocket jokes.

"He's right about that." The voice of High Evolutionary said and everyone gasp, even Rocket, who shudders. They hear screaming and the High Evolutionary shouted. "Back in your cages!" Then the call goes silent.

"Nebula? Nebula, come in!" (Y/n) said, worried. "So, you'd like to joust, would you?" High Evolutionary said and everyone looks around, fearfully. "Go to hell, you sick son of a bitch. You killed all of those people." Peter said, angrily. "As I will your friends. I'm sending you the coordinates. They will die unless you BRING ME WHAT IS MINE!" High Evolutionary said, shouting the last few words, and Rocket looks around at the others, fearfully.

"Screw you, you stretch-faced, Robocop-looking Skeletor wannabe, purple-nurple piece of..." (y/n) shouted but then she heard the line go dead. "He hung up." She sighs. "You think?" Gamora said, sarcastically, and Peter walks off as he starts to make a call on his comms.

"Kraglin." He said as he walks to another room. "Oh, hey, Pete." Kraglin replied. "We need to save Nebula, Mantis and Drax, and we need your help." Peter tells him. "Me?" Kraglin said, confused.

"This could be futile, (y/n). He's too powerful." Rocket said to (y/n) as he finished putting his suit on. "Well, then I guess we'll die trying." (Y/n) said as she starts heading to the deck. "What is dying trying gonna accomplish?" Rocket asked as he follows her and Gamora comes up. "Or we can just give him the badger?" Gamora suggests as Meredith and Groot come up.

"Our thing is dying trying." Rocket said. "I am Groot." Groot said. "I know who you are already!" Gamora shouts at Groot. "Don't yell at him!" Meredith shouted back at her, which takes Gamora back a bit. "Feel free to stay behind in the cargo area." (Y/n) tells Gamora. "I'm not leaving my sister with that jackass." Gamora said as she pulls out a few of photos out of her pocket and hands it to (y/n).

"This you and Quill? Fell out of those bags." She said as she walks ahead and (y/n) stops and looks at the photos. One was of young Peter with his mother and grandfather, the second one was of (y/n), Peter and his mother as they stood by the garage of Peter's house and the last one was of (y/n) and Peter at a lake, both of them standing at the shallow end of it with huge toothy grins on their faces and (y/n) putting her two fingers up behind Peter's head.

(Y/n) gives a small smile at this as Meredith looks at them. "That you and Dad?" She asked and (y/n) looks over at her and nods. "Yeah, that is us. We were alittle younger than you when we had this photo taken." (Y/n) explained as Meredith takes the photo and looks at it. "And this woman..." (y/n) said as she shows the picture of Peter with his mom and grandpa. "She is your grandmother, the one whose name you carry." (Y/n) said and Meredith stares at that photo as Peter comes up to them.

"Got ahold of Kraglin. They're on their way." He tells (y/n). "Oh, good." She said and Peter noticed the photos in her hands. "What...?" Peter said and (y/n) looks up at him and he takes the photos from her. He stares at it as memories flood his mind and at that moment he made a decision that he knew he'd have to talk to (y/n) and Meredith about.

He let's out a sigh through his nose then looks at his wife and child. "Once this is all over, we...we need to have a discussion." He whispers and (y/n) smirks then nods. "Yeah, yeah, we do." She said and Meredith looks between them and smiles.

They get into their respective chairs, buckled up and fly the Bowie towards the coordinates that High Evolutionary sent them.