TWENTY SIX

It took Garcia, Reid, and Prentiss an hour to review all of the cameras at double speed to find any leads. Then they just had to follow the cameras hoping to spot anything that would lead them to their unsub. Everyone was on edge as the race continued without an incident.

"Morgan what did the systems engineer say," Aaron asked. The team was combing through all their leads, evidence, and suspects.

"The operations are all in check. They did say that it was slightly heavier than expected at weigh-in before the race began. Just a few pounds but they shrugged it off since one of the engineers added a new sensor prior to the race."

Reid froze. "There's no reason to make changes to a car once the season begins if it's performing at peak conditions. I think someone added an explosives device to the car."

Morgan sighed, "And with the speeds she's going at there must be a trigger tied to speed or a remote detonator."

"Has Pierce made a pit stop? If she has then we know it isn't speed," Reid asked.

Morgan shook his head. "No, they were going to call her in for a new set of tires any minute."

"If it's triggered by speed then that may set it off. Is there any chance we can trigger a red flag? Some rouge tire flying off a car that will cause the cars to stop in place? We stop her far away from the stands and if it detonates then-"

"If it detonates she's not surving that," Prentis finished.

Garcia walked back into the office. "Team? There was a red flag heat advisory that just went out."

Morgan said, "She has to stop regardless. We can't keep her running on the track while low on fuel."

"They are having them go back into the pit lane thing," Garcia elaborated.

Aaron grabbed his walkie talkie. "Have Pierce be the last to decrease speed. I do not care if she is in the front, keep her out another lap and have her gradually decrease speed. I want her at lane speed before she even makes it close to the other cars. If anyone asks say it's the engine overheating from the heat. Tell no one."

The systems engineer responded, "Roger that. Boys, let's keep her out a bit, she's going a little over enter speed for pit lane. I need to check a few sensors before she comes in."

Aaron turned to his team. "Garcia I need you monitoring all the cameras with Reid. If anyone so much as moves or looks suspicious I want to know. Morgan, go join Rossi in the garage. I need Morgan to inspect the car fully for explosives. First sign of an IED and we pull the fire alarm. JJ and Prentiss go walk around the pit. If this explosive goes off someone is going to react. If they feel we are onto them then they'll run. I will remain here and run base."

He knew that no matter what would happen in the next half hour this case would be coming to an end. The outcome of this case was the unknown that he was not mentally prepared for.

Aaron said into the radio, "Is she at pit speed?"

"Yes sir, she is. Nothing is going off. Should we bring her in?"

"Ask Morgan, we need to inspect her car," Aaron responded. "The less people outside my team know the better."

"Why do you need to inspect her car?"

"The less you know the better. Please trust my team and I."

"What do I tell her father?"

"Mr. Pierce is not allowed to interferre with our investigation. Keep him with the spotters."

Aaron could not let his feelings cloud his judgement. He didn't even know what was thier relationship and the more grey area it was the better for him. As far as anyone was concerned they were just testing the waters. But he couldn't think about that any longer than he already had.