TWENTY ONE

Charlie collapsed on the bed in her hotel room

Charlie collapsed on the bed in her hotel room. Aaron shut the door as he entered behind her. "How exhausted are you," he asked.

"Pretty exhausted. Las Vegas is a track I'm familiar with so I'm not that worried. My only concern is the weather."

"I overheard you say severe heat red flag. What does that mean?"

"A red flag is when it's deemed too unsafe to continue the race. You stop where you are. In the case of extreme heat the cars become like a sauna. It can get really hot in there. We've had a couple of drivers pass out due to the heat after races."

"How worried are you about the heat caution?"

"Not particularly. If it will happen it will happen. All I can really do is just race. I grew up in humid weather, Las Vegas is dry heat. We have a solid strategy for the race and honestly all I want to do is take my mind off of the race," Charlie told him as she sat up in the bed.

Aaron chuckled, "Is that so?"

"Don't tell me you aren't thinking the same thing I am," Charlie said with a cheeky grin.

"Oh I am, but you're father is waiting for us."

"He'll get side tracked with Dave. Don't worry. Those two will probably be catching up. And YRB likes his long hot showers so he'll be a while," Charlie told him as she walked over to him. She grabbed him by the tie and then kissed him.

Aaron just gave in and climbed on top of her. They kissed as she started to unbutton his shirt when the door knocked.

"Charlie, do you have a minute," Ryan asked.

Charlie immediately gestured for Aaron to hide in the shower while she straightened up and answered the door. "Aren't you supposed to be taking a shower Blaney?"

"Can I come in? It'll be quick."

Charlie sighed, "Fine but if this is Roger Penske asking you to talk me into signing a contract he'll have to actually send me one."

"I've found a way to tell Denny you're leaving JGR."

"I told you I don't care what he thinks about me leaving."

"Our dads are talking about the switch and from the sound of it your dad is onboard." Ryan was thrilled at the news.

Charlie shook her head. "Ryan why are you so insistent on me joining Penske? I told you I'd consider it."

"Yes but-"

"I've humored this enough Ryan. If I'm going to make the switch it's going to be on my terms. We've been racing together since we were kids yet why do you still treat me like some newbie?"

Ryan responded, "Because I want to work on the same team as you Char. I know you'll be a fantastic edition to our Penske team."

Charlie tried to read his body language. "Keep telling yourself that Ryan. Being on the same team will still mean we're competitors."