NINE

There was no denying the drive from San Antonio to El Paso was long

There was no denying the drive from San Antonio to El Paso was long. Aaron and Charlie spent the entire time talking about random things like religion, spirit animal, favorite Spice Girl, and their plan for the zombie apocalypse.

"We should grab dinner," Aaron announced as they were well into their journey.

"Aaron were in the middle of nowhere. Where o where do you want to eat?" Charlie knew that there would be some places further up the road but the options would be slim and far out.

"Well we could stop at the first diner we see," he suggested.

She shrugged, "Sure. Whatever you want."

"Do you want to switch?"

"Nah, I can go the rest of the way to El Paso. Although you will have to take over from there to Phoenix. We'll rest there and then drive the rest of the way."

"Is there any reason to skip Phoenix?"

"It's hot and we're only refueling there. I really want to get some practice in. Strategy wise. Denny and I might form a plan to win this with the rest of the Toyota team."

"I'll pretend I have some knowledge about this. Because no matter how hard you try I will never understand NASCAR," Aaron told her.

She laughed, "Aaron you went to law school. How is it that you find NASCAR more confusing than the USA legal system?"

"I didn't say my logic was perfect. I just said I didn't understand it," he stated.

Charlie rolled her eyes. "Clint spent an entire hour explaining it to you and you still don't understand. I guess you learn better with hands on learning. You been to a race before?"

"Never seen one."

"Well this is going to be fun. I'm already predicting Adams is going to get a couple of caution flags. It'll be fun if last lap is a three way. I love those."

Aaron sighed, "Now you're just messing with the fact I understand 75% of what you're saying."

"Guilty as charged."

"What do you do on your time off?"

"Catch up with friends. It's hard working nonstop and keeping friendships. My dad is my only family so he and I spend a lot of time together. I visit New Orleans with my dad. I play with my dog. Just regular stuff," she replied.

"At lest your work schedule makes sense. It's like a revolving door when it comes to my job. It never stops."

"So why did you make a bet with Hamlin?" Aaron was intrigued by her relationship with Denny Hamlin. They were teammates but Clint has hinted at something more.

"Because we have a friendly rivalry and we were drunk. I'm pretty sure I tried to pickpocket Joey's car keys at some point." Aaron gave her a look. "I was drunk. Don't worry. One of the crew was collecting car keys. Wanted to make sure no one was drunk driving."