13 ; i don't love you

"You what?" George shouted, drawing everyone's attention to us because he had shouted so suddenly. Now I somehow doubted that it was a good idea to tell him about last night. "I wanted you two to get along again, but sex? Are you serious?" He continued a little more quietly, giving me a stern look that made me want to shrink into myself.

"I let my feelings guide me." I admitted sheepishly, scratching the back of my head to show my discomfort.

"You don't say." He crossed his arms in front of his chest like an angry father and glared down at me. I felt like shit, because I had spent the last few hours before I came here crying.

"George." I groaned desperately, letting myself fall against his chest because I really needed a hug right now. "What am I supposed to do now?" I mumbled against his chest as the Brit wrapped his protective arms around me and stroked his hands up and down my back.

"Pretend everything's fine and ignore your problems as usual?"

I had to laugh. My best friend had seen through me far too easily. He knew me far too well and that meant I could hardly ever lie to him.

"I messed up, Georgie. Don't you understand what that means?" The Mercedes driver dropped his head onto mine and breathed in and out deeply. He didn't want to answer because he knew there was nothing that could have made the situation better.

"I think I'll find out in a few minutes," He mumbled, letting go of me and turning me around carefully. Confused, I looked around until an angry Max stepped into my field of vision.

I furrowed my brows as I couldn't think of anything he could be angry about.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed, pulling himself together and not touching me in his rage. "What is this, Matilda? What the hell is wrong with you?" I looked at him, confused.

My head rattled as I tried to figure out what I had done wrong.

"Unleashing a shitstorm on my girlfriend? Are you honestly that low?" He shouted in my face, making me flinch in horror, because I hadn't expected that at all.

My heart tightened painfully.

"She broke down crying in the hotel room because you sicced your fans on her neck!" He exclaimed angrily, throwing his arms up in the air.

I didn't understand what I was supposed to have done, I hadn't been on any social media platforms for the last few days.

George stayed out of it, standing quietly in the background.

"What are you talking about?" I croaked, feeling the tears constrict my throat and stop me from breathing. My heart contracted so painfully that I gasped briefly from the pressure in my chest.

"Don't play dumb!" Max shouted at me, causing me to take a startled step back. "You know exactly what you've done!" He continued to shout, humiliating me not only in front of George but in front of the whole Mercedes crew.

Where the hell was my father when he was needed?

Max took the step towards me that I had leveled out a few moments ago.

"I have a kid at home waiting for me to come back. You stay the hell away from me and Kelly."

And in that moment —

In that moment, I could feel my heart finally breaking.

He had a child?

Our entire relationship had been built on a lie?

How could I have been so blind?

"You... You..."

I gasped for air, feeling like all oxygen had been drained from the air and now left me gasping on the floor.

So that was it.

The final stroke.

The last few minutes.

"Our relationship was built on a single lie?" I breathed, not having the strength to argue or discuss with him. "So it was all just a game for you? Have a little fun before you drop me? You used me for information, isn't that right?"

Anger built up in the depths of my stomach, making me suddenly scream so loudly that even I was startled.

Something changed in Max's expression before his hard expression replaced any gentle features.

He nodded.

He nodded.

And I fell, fell so deeply back into the endless hole of loneliness.

Once again I took a step back, I needed something to hold on to.

"I don't love you."

My hand shot forward before I could stop it. It slapped loudly against Max's skin and had such force that his face flew to the side.

I couldn't look at the Dutchman anymore, I had to get out of here before I collapsed.

"What are you doing, man?" George exclaimed angrily as I stormed back through the paddock to the Mercedes building and gathered my things.

I needed time.

Time for myself, time to think.

Time to heal.

"What's got into you?" I heard Lewis ask, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

"I have to get out of here."

When he heard my tearful voice, the Brit came towards me and took me in his arms before I could resist.

"What happened?" He gently laid his head on mine while I clawed my hands into his shirt, trying to hold on. I shook my head in despair, not having the strength to talk about it now.

"Can you get me a jet? I just want to go home." I sobbed, clutching the Mercedes driver tighter, trying to get some kind of grip. "Of course." He sighed, not letting go of me as he pulled out his cell phone.

"Come on, let's sit down." I shook my head, not intending to stay much longer. I detached myself from Lewis and packed up the rest of my things that I had stowed here.

"I have to go, Lew. Before I lose my mind."

Nodding in understanding, he dialed a number on his cell phone before pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead.

"I'll text you the details. See you around, lion." I nodded gratefully, placing a kiss on his cheek as he had placed one on my forehead.

And then I stormed out of the building.

Heartbroken, just like a few months ago.

I had made a mistake getting involved with Max again and I wouldn't make that mistake again.