010. ━ birthdays

season six // episode seventeen[ birthdays ]

[ birthdays ]

❝Why? Do you not remember?
Was it so long ago you've
forgotten?❞

ELLIE WOKE UP to the smoke detector going off. She jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to find Reed and April frantically fanning the device, trying to turn it off. "What the hell are you two lunatics doing?" she asked.

The two friends turned sharply, hearing the blonde's voice. "Nothing," Reed said, throwing the rag at April who ran into the kitchen in a hurry. Reed walked over to Ellie and turned her back away from the kitchen. "How are you, Ellie? Having a good day so far?"

"Uh, it's 6 in the morning and I woke up to the sound of the smoke detector," Ellie replied with a frown. "I'm tired. What are you two hiding?"

"Hiding?" Reed repeated, scratching her head in a faux confusion. "We're not hiding anything, just having a conversation."

"Mm-hmm. You're a horrible liar, you know." Ellie pointed in the direction of the kitchen. "If you're not hiding anything then why did April just sprint into the kitchen?"

"Oh, that? Um, just getting the toast... out of the toaster."

Ellie narrowed her eyes at the brunette. "Oh, what did you two do?"

"Nothing!" Reed exclaimed in slight offense. "We didn't do anything. Now, go upstairs and shower, and then we'll go to work."

"Well, why can't I just—"

Reed stopped her and pushed her toward the stairs. "Go!"

"Fine." Ellie looked at her strangely before going back up to her room. Reed watched her before letting out a breath and going into the kitchen. "We suck at being suspicious. Is it okay?"

"It's fine," April replied. "It didn't burn, thankfully."

"Yeah, instead we burnt eggs," Reed groaned, waving a hand in front of her face from the smell. "But at least the cake is okay."

April smiled and looked down at the dark cake in happiness. "This is going to be the best day ever."

"Except we still have to go to work," Reed reminded the redhead. "Come on, Apes. We're celebrating later."

The girls all got ready and drove to the hospital. April and Reed quickly ran to the lounge, leaving Ellie alone. She watched after them before feeling two pairs of arms squish her.

"We heard it's our favorite person's birthday today!"

Ellie wiggled out of the hold and saw Derek and Mark both smiling at her. "Good morning to you, too."

"Happy Birthday, sunshine!" Mark hugged her tightly. "Wow, 28, I feel old."

"You are," Ellie retorted.