032. ━ sinkhole

season eight // episode one[ sinkhole ]

[ sinkhole ]

❝Hey, remember me? Yeah, I'm the
one who's in charge of your
scheduling and making sure that
you have good residents!❞

ELLIE STOOD IN the cafeteria of the residents' breakfast, a clipboard in her hand. She looked around at the crowd of doctors before standing up on a stool. "Good morning," she began. The room still buzzed and she rolled her eyes. "Hey, remember me? Yeah, I'm the one who's in charge of your scheduling and making sure that you have good residents."

At those words, everybody fell silent and Ellie smirked to herself. "I thought that would work..." she muttered under her breath before clearing her throat and looking out at the sea of doctors.

"Good morning and welcome to your final year of residency," she said with a bright smile. "This breakfast is the one time when all of the fifth years and attendings are in the same room together, so, residents, use your time wisely, find a mentor, ask questions, and get advice on your futures. Attendings—" Ellie paused and glanced at her brother who had been talking to Callie and he pressed his lips together under her glare. "Offer any advice to us, anything that you think would be helpful for us to know. Thank you. And enjoy the breakfast. Please. They made too much."

She stepped off the stool and soon, the room was buzzing once more between mentors and their mentees. Derek found her and he smiled. "Hey, nice speech," he said and she looked up at him. "I especially liked the part where you threatened everybody."

She chuckled lightly. "Well, if I know anything, it's residents. And I knew they weren't going to listen to me right away, so it seemed fitting."

"You're gonna do great, Ellie," he said. "You already have the threatening side down, and everybody likes you. Hunt made the right choice."

She tilted her head. "You're not just saying that because I'm your sister?"

"Well, yes," he replied with a shrug and she laughed softly. "But you're also one of the best residents."

"Well, thank you," she said with a smile. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to take my own advice and find my mentors." As she turned around, Callie was behind her and Ellie jumped ever so slightly. "Never mind... she found me."

Derek chuckled to himself as he walked away, leaving the two alone.

"So, you're the only resident interested in doing ortho," Callie began and Ellie nodded. "And because of that, I can put all of my knowledge into you. And you remember everything, which is a bonus. I know you're also doing peds, but any chance that I can, I'm putting you on my service."

"Uh..." Ellie nodded. "Okay."

"Alright," Callie said, nodding to herself. "Nice speech."

Ellie blinked in confusion as the ortho surgeon walked away and her spot was soon occupied by the other half of the couple. "Sloan! Good!" Arizona smiled. "The other half of what could become the next great peds duo. Now, I already told Alex this, but there's a difference between the two of you. You're trustworthy, you're chief resident now. And you didn't bust a fellow surgeon."