013. ━ kindness goes a long way

season six // episodes twenty-one and twenty-two[ kindness goes a long way ]

[ kindness goes a long way ]

❝You got a good one, didn't
you?❞

ELLIE SAT BESIDE Jackson in the skills lab, her head on his shoulder while Bailey stood in front of the residents.

She held up a piece of paper, writing information down on the whiteboard behind her. "Uh, reaction, observation, communication — any questions so far?" Every resident's hand went up and she sighed. "We are doing this because Chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills, that's why. And it just so happens, this morning was a very good time, besides, half of you were raised by wolves."

"Not by choice," Ellie muttered under her breath. Jackson chuckled at her before they both turned their attention back to the attending.

"Re—ac—tion," she said, sounding out every syllable. "'Keep your face impassive. Whether prompted by a patient's appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, et cetera, can be counterproductive.'" She kept looking through the packet. "Jokes. Don't make jokes about patients, not in front of them, not even in private."

"Well..."

Bailey turned around. "Yang?"

"What if the joke is really funny?" she asked making Ellie roll her eyes and Bailey frown.

"It's not. Neither was that one. Moving on. Observation." Bailey's pager went off. "Yeah. Ah. Okay, 'Use reflective listening, repeat the patient's feelings back to them.' 'Um, I hear that you're concerned about the surgery. Let me explain the risks.'"

"'I can see you like vegetables," Alex muttered. "After surgery, you might become one.'" All the residents except for Ellie laughed and Bailey glared at him.

"Communication," Bailey continued, still glaring at them. "Uh, 'Don't use jargon. Use language that the patient can understand. Be creative in using metaphors.'"

"Oh." Charles groaned. "I'm terrible with metaphors. I can never come up with 'em."

"Why?" Cristina asked him. "'Cause you're dumb as a box of hammers?"

"You see, that's a good one." Charles nodded. "You're an ass, but that was a good one."

"'Be clear and comprehensive," Bailey continued. "'Explain all risks and all probably outcomes, leaving nothing out.' Question-Adamson?"

"Why are you going so fast?" Ellie asked, furrowing her brows.

"It just so happens that we have an emergent patient arriving who will need a little extra sensitivity," Bailey answered the resident. "So remember to employ your... R—O—C, and you will—hmm—rock your patient's world." Ellie chuckled with the rest of the residents. "Okay, that's enough of that. Follow me to the pit. Hustle!"