026. ━ life-changing news

season seven // episodes thirteen and fourteen[ life-changing news ]

[ life-changing news ]

❝Callie's pregnant. With my
baby.❞

"MARK!" ELLIE BANGED on the door of her brother's bedroom. "You haven't come out of your room in... half an hour. And Arizona is yelling across the hall and Callie walked out of here with a... well, a look on her face. What is going on?"

Mark opened the door and looked down at her. "Callie's pregnant. With my baby."

Ellie blinked at him. "Callie's p—well, that's great!" she said with a smile which faltered when she saw his expression. "Not great?"

"No, no, it is," he replied, shaking his head. "You know how much I've always wanted to be a dad and this is finally my chance. But... how do I tell Lexie? It didn't really go too well the last time I told her about a surprise kid of mine."

Ellie shrugged. "Well, a baby is a different thing than a nineteen-year-old girl having a baby," she said, letting out a breath. "You just have to tell her the truth. You have to tell her that Callie is pregnant, that you're the father, and that you'll be in this baby's life. The longer you keep it from her, the harder it's gonna be."

"But what if she's mad?"

"Then she's mad," she replied with a shrug. "I mean, it's not like you did anything wrong. You too were broken up. It's not as though you cheated on her with Callie and got her pregnant. Like when you slept with Addison while she and Derek were married—" He looked at her. "—which I've forgiven you for. But you said it yourself, Mark, you've always wanted to be a dad and this is your chance."

"I just don't want to lose her again."

Ellie sighed. "Then that's a risk you're gonna have to take," she said before smiling. "You're gonna have a baby."

"I'm gonna have a baby," he echoed with his own smile.

Ellie hugged him tightly. "You're gonna be the best dad."

"You think?"

"I know," she said, pulling back and looking at him. "You raised me, after all. And I personally think you did one hell of a good job."

Mark scoffed. "Please, you practically raised yourself. From the moment you could walk and talk, you did it yourself."

Ellie shook her head. "No," she contradicted. "You did it all, Mark. You were both mom and dad at the age of fourteen and you gave me the best childhood. That baby is gonna be so lucky to have you." She kissed his cheek. "I'm gonna be late for work. Good luck with Lexie."

"Do you mind if I have the apartment tonight?" he asked and she looked back at him from the doorway. "To tell Lexie?"

She nodded with a smile. "I'll be at Andy's. Good luck."