Chapter 12

"What?" she said before she started laughing.

"Bakit ka ba tumatawa?" I asked.

"Teka nga, did I hear you right? Did you really ask me to run as your VP?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Gusto kita." I smiled.

"Alam ko. Gusto rin kita." She winked at me.

I laughed. "Alam ko rin but seriously, I am asking you to run not because you're my girlfriend but because I am confident that you'll be able to do the job of the VP well. You're intelligent, super charming, and your heart is in the right place. Maliban d'yan, you are not afraid to speak your mind at naipakita mo 'yun when you lobbied that the student handbook be revised because it is out-dated and extremely pro-school administration."

"Hey, don't give me too much credit. I only did what I did because I felt that the zero-tolerance policy was outrageous. Napag-usapan kasi namin 'yun ni Ate and during her time as the Student Council President ay ipinaglaban n'ya na dapat transparent lahat even the punishments. Eh, n'ung binasa ko 'yung bagong handbook ay nakita ko na nand'un pa rin 'yung clause na 'yun that's why I pointed it out."

"Exactly. You pointed it out. You were brave enough to point it out. May sense of fairness ka kasi, hindi ka bias even when the issue does not affect you. When you feel that it wouldn't be fair towards others, ipinaglalaban mo."

"Ano ba 'yan, hindi ako heroine, ano. I'm not Irina Ysobel Tan Samonte—"

"I know. You're Ingrid Yelen Tan Samonte and you're awesome as you are."

"Hala, teka lang nag-ba-blush ako..."

She covered her mouth as she giggled. "Grabe kang mambola, naaapektuhan na ako."

"So, will you?"

"Will I what?"

"Will you marry me?" I smiled.

She smiled back. "I already said yes, remember? Pero ang cute lang kapag inuulit-ulit mo."

"How about, will you be my VP?"

"Kaya ko ba?" she asked, her eyes filling with doubt. "Baka naman ipahiya lang kita."

"Ingrid, you compliment my strengths way better than you think. 'Yung weaknesses ko naman nasasalo mo. You're my perfect partner."

"Gosh naman. Sinagot na kita, 'di ba? Hindi mo na kailangang magpalapad ng papel sa akin."

"Hindi po ako nagpapalapad ng papel, nagsasabi lang po ako ng totoo."

"Eh...kinikilig tuloy ako."

"Is that a yes?"

"Um..."

"Ano bang misgivings mo? I want to hear them. Kasi kung ayaw mo talaga, hindi kita pipilitin."

"Takot ako na baka hindi ko magampanan nang maayos 'yung posisyon. Alam mo naman ako, pang-beauty contest lang."

"That's not true, you're a smart girl who loves to join beauty pageants because you know you're beautiful."

"Ay, grabe na. Blush kung blush," she answered laughing.

I leaned forward to kiss her on the forehead. "Kailangan kita. I cannot do this without you. Ate Ice had Kuya Fire to back her up when she ruled the Supreme Student Council, student paper, and St. Bernadette's Debate Club."

"And I'd like to point out that Kuya JFK wasn't a member of the student council, student paper, and the debate club. Kaya sabihin mo sa akin, Mr. Santiago, ano ang rason bakit gusto mo akong maging involved sa mga 'yun?"