Chapter 27

Gumaan ang pakiramdam ko n'ung nagkausap kami ni Ingrid. There's just something about my girlfriend and her unwavering faith in me that makes me think that I can do anything.

Kaya naman kahit gusto ko nang tawagan si Principal Delgado para kulitin ay mas pinili kong maghintay.

Siguradong kung natataranta na ako rito ay baka mas malala pa 'yung nararamdaman ni Sir. Isipin mo after three years of displaying that Dynamo trophy in his office ay bigla na lang kailangan naming ibigay sa iba? Pinagawan pa man din n'ya ng bagong glass case...

I went down to the second floor lecture theater for our next activity and was greeted by Matt and his friends.

"Mukhang okay ka na, ah," Matt stated as I took a seat beside him. "Kanina mukha kang nasunugan. Nakukonsensya nga kami, eh, because for a moment we were happy that your school is out of the running."

"Don't cross St. Bernadette out yet, lalaban pa ako," I replied with a smile.

"That's the spirit," Wyatt from St. Martin said.

"Sorry, Aleph, ha. We were being bad friends," Donna told me. "Inaamin ko naman, eh, na isa ako sa mga natuwa n'ung nalaman kong malaki ang possibility naming makuha 'yung Dynamo but after seeing how downhearted you were earlier, na-guilty talaga kami."

"Okay lang 'yun, it's a contest. Lahat naman tayo gustong maging proud sa atin 'yung school natin. I hope I will see you guys in the final round. Kahit sinong manalo, I am sure deserving."

I knew I had to participate more because even if we lose the trophy, I didn't want to give an impression that St. Bernadette's representatives to the ISYC for the school year were all losers.

"So, which is better, money or education?" Prof. Harold Canlas, our moderator for the afternoon's activity asked. "Those who agree that education is better than money, raise your hands."

All of us raised our hands.

"Look at that, I have a roomful of young minds who believe that learning is important. So, none of you believe that money has more weight than education?"

"No..." we all chorused.

"Who are debaters here?" he asked.

I raised my hand together with the others.

"Hm...let's see how good you are. Education is better than money. St. Theresa, St. Lorenzo, Sto. Niño School of Parañaque, you are the affirmative side. St. Bernadette, Holy Infant, St. Martin, you are the negative side. It's just an informal debate so no need to feel pressured. We're not doing Parliamentary, Lincoln-Douglas, or any of the four types of debate that you guys know. Instead, we will make our own rules. The first two speakers from each side will build the case and the third speakers will make the rebuttal. You have ten minutes to prepare."

Wyatt groaned behind me as we pushed to our feet before we marched to the front. The representative from Holy Infant didn't look thrilled, too.

"Aleph," I said.

"Wyatt," Matt's friend introduced himself.

"Gail," our third teammate joined in.

"You can leave the room to discuss," Prof. Canlas announced and the three of us headed out the door.

Eleven minutes later, we were back inside the room listening to the affirmative side's first speaker.

"I am Ophelia Monica Delmundo from St. Theresa Academy. We believe that education is better than money simply because the surest way to get money is to be educated. You cannot get a job if you do not have a degree, you cannot get promoted if you do not have a masters degree or a doctorate, and there is no way that you can get on top of the corporate ladder if you did not graduate from college at least. That is why our side believes that being educated is better than having money."